Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Fulfilling the Stereotype



Guess where I spent my afternoon. Not at the hospital. Not seeing patients at the clinic. Rather, I spent it playing golf. I can't think of anything more stereotypical for a doctor to do on a nice summer afternoon. The interns got an invitation a month or so ago to play in the hospital's annual golf fund raiser scramble. I wasn't going to go because I don't play golf and figured it would be ultra embarrassing. However, the other interns were going and I didn't want to seem antisocial and they convinced me to go so I signed up.

I slept really poorly last night and I think one of the reasons was because I was so nervous for today's match. My group consisted of another intern and two ENT doctors who I have never met before. One of the docs was pretty good but the rest of us were pretty bad. Golf is much harder than it looks, and I was even using the good doc's fancy clubs. I'd say for every good shot I hit I had nine bad ones. I lost probably 10 balls. I had a heck of a slice off the tee. Our group finished in last place in the scramble. The above picture shows me with the award I won for finishing last. It has to be one of my proudest moments.

Never the less, I had a good time and it was certainly worth the experience and the day off work. I don't see myself picking up golf anytime soon. However it is a good reason to be outside for a bit and I plan on attending next year's charity scramble to defend my title.


5 comments:

  1. Does this mean that you will have to live long enought to be a centenarian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the old saying goes, "golf and sex are the only two things you don't have to be good at to enjoy." LOL

    I'm not really worth a damn at golf either, but I still love it...basically, it's an elaborate excuse to get out with the guys, horse around, and drink a few beers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what my individual score was but we shot an 87 as a team so I don't know if it would be possible to live long enough to match my age.

    I think golf would be enjoyable on a nice day. It is a good excuse to get out of the house and spend some time outside. I can see how people would pick it up. It's a bit expensive with clubs and greens fees. Plus I loose a lot of balls. Lots.

    At the scramble we had women driving "beverage carts" stocked with Miller and Coors lite and it was free. Apparently Loogootee isn't the only place where stuff like that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you want to just get second-rate golf balls until you are good enough to not lose so many. There are some expensive balls out there...but if you ever get to the point where you're good enough, they do make a difference. Plus, once you're more towards that level, you're accurate enough with your shot to not lose them as often.

    Love the Caddyshack clip, by the way. Easily one of my top five favorite movies of all-time, any category, comedy or otherwise. That movie came out 30 years ago last month, and it's still a relevant/entertaining watch today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed using the nicer clubs too. I actually think they made a bit of a difference too. I had a Titleist driver with a head on it the size of a cantaloupe. No way you could miss with that thing. I really like the King Cobra Hybrid clubs for the intermediate stuff too.

    ReplyDelete