Sarah, Craig, and I went to Verizon Friday night to see one of my favorite current bands, Kings of Leon. The show was excellent. We had pavilion seats right in front of the stage, probably 50 yards or so from stage. We had a great view of the stage. Overall I enjoyed this concert better than their concert last year. They played more older stuff this time around which I liked. Sitting pavilion is fun because you have better views of the stage and the music is louder since you are sitting closer to the stage and all of the speakers. This was one of the louder concerts I've been to. All and all it was a great show and a fun Friday night.
I enjoy going to Verizon a few times a year to see some concerts. It is really convenient for me to drive there as it is just like 20 minutes down the road. Plus I really enjoy music, especially really loud music. One of the worse parts of going to Verizon, however, is the traffic situation. I have sat in the parking lot for up to 90 minutes before trying to get out. Because of these past experiences, I decided to get the VIP parking upgrade this time. I think overall it is worth it. We were out of the parking lot in just a few minutes this time. You will still have to wait on side streets once you get out, but it isn't such a big deal because at least at this point everyone is already in a formed line. I would say the VIP parking is worth the extra coin and less hassle.
On Saturday Craig and I went to the US Nationals drag races at O'Reailly Raceway Park. I've never been before but Craig said it was an interesting event so I thought it would be a good way to spend a nice Saturday afternoon. I truthfully know nothing about the sport and felt a bit lost in terms of the specifics of what was going on. I found the racing action to be a little repetitive and things happened so fast it was difficult for me to even notice small wiggles some of the cars had that slowed them down in their run. I was mildly entertained by the whole thing, but the top fuel dragsters blew my mind. These cars run a mixture of nitromethane and methanol, produce around 10,000 horsepower, and reach speeds over 300 mph. Words can't describe what its like when these cars go down the track. Their engines produce in excess of 120 dB. You don't just hear them go down the track, you feel them. You can actually feel the sound waves as the car goes by. It is really pretty remarkable.
The other cool thing about the event was that you were allowed to go into the pit area and roam and watch them work on cars and stuff. After one of the runs I was standing about 20 feet from one of the cars when it revved its engine. I wasn't really prepared for it and it scared me quite a bit. Luckily I had my ear plugs in, but the noise was so extreme it actually made me feel a little uncomfortable. But the ability to roam freely in the pits and get so close to the action is really cool and unique among modern day sports. I even saw John Force. Didn't see Ashley, sadly.

On a side note, I am thrilled with the weather we are having this weekend. It is finally starting to cool off a bit and transition into the autumn season. Fall is one of my favorite seasons, and I am excited about the cooler weather and the start of football season (despite Purdue's dismal performance Saturday against Notre Dame)!
WHAT??? Did you have ear plugs for the concert also? Good thing you had them for the races. Did you have to remember to bring some or did they have them available for spectators? Nice picture of Ashley. Is she related to John?
ReplyDeleteOh oh, I have access now! ; )
ReplyDeleteHave you tried the new chair yet that Sarah put together?
ReplyDelete@Joseph: I didn't wear them at the concert. It makes it difficult to hear the music. They did have them at the track but I just bought some at Meijer before I went to the track.
ReplyDeleteAshley Force is John's daughter. John is a drag racing legend, but Ashley is pretty good too. In fact I think she beat him in the finals today.
@auntie: I have tried the new chair. I've been wanting a seat in the bed room for quite some time so I was happy that we finally got one. And it didn't collapse!
Saw Craiger at the fantasy football post-draft party down in Loogootee on Sunday...he said the concert was a pretty good time.
ReplyDeleteYou and SEB are pretty pupmed up for autumn. I'm glad football season is back, but to me, that's kind of the consolation prize while knowing that cold days are around the corner. I despise winter time, and to me, fall is a reminder that it's lurking right around the corner.
@BoilerPip: The older I get, the more I dislike the extreme hot of summer and extreme cold of winter. I am much more into the transition seasons now. Trust me, if you drove around this summer in the brutal heat without a/c, you'd be looking forward to cooler weather too.
ReplyDeleteThe concert was really good. I am still on a kick listening to them.
The older you get, the more that opinion may change. LOL. I always hear from elderly people that the bitter cold is a whole lot more rough on aging joints and achy muscles than the dog days of summer. I've essentially came to the conclusion that while heat and humidity can at times become uncomfortable, the bitter cold of winter can literally become painful.
ReplyDeleteI too enjoy the change of seasons...kind of breaks up the monotony of day-to-day routine, but I could just deal with a winter that's much shorter. I'm pretty much in the mood for winter between Thanksgiving and the Super Bowl. After that, I'm generally fed up with it, and ready for some more pleasant weather.
The last picture of you and your brother has me wondering...how many drinks had you had by the time you took that picture? :)
ReplyDelete@auntie: Truthfully only one or two.
ReplyDeleteSteven was our DD, so it's funny that he looked drunk, lol! He actually was just reacting to the camera being so close to him, I think.
ReplyDeleteAnd Craig's excuse? :)
ReplyDelete