Monday, May 16, 2011

And We're Back!




Several weeks ago Playstation users were greeted with a long error message when they turned their system on and the Playstation Network couldn't be accessed. Sony released a vague statement saying their network encountered an "external intrusion" and speculation followed as to the security of their network, the safety of our credit card information, and if hacker group Anonymous was to blame. Sony has been very hush-hush during the past few weeks and has said very little. I honestly can't remember anything quite like this in the history of the Internet. Yes, web sites and companies get hacked all of the time but I can't remember an instance where a company suffered an electronic attack that left them out of service for several weeks. And even though the network for on line gaming is back up, the Playstation Store and other services are still down for "maintenance." Making matters even worse was an article from Reuters I read yesterday saying a top government hacker was able to tap into sensitive documents on Sony's servers using nothing more than Google and a web browser. Yes, Sony's 70 million plus PSN users weren't happy, but can you imagine if a similar attack happened on something important, like banking or air traffic control or some security firm? If Sony, a large, international electronics company, can't secure its networks properly, who is to say Bank of America or any other company can?

At any rate, the network is partially back up now, enough to where I can play Gran Turismo 5 seasonal events. It's interesting, for a game where I have so many complaints, I continue to play and enjoy the racing. I'm trying to gain enough credits to enter the 24 hours of Le Mans.


No comments:

Post a Comment