Thursday, September 8, 2011

I'm Finished With College Football

It seems like autumn has arrived over night here in Indiana and I'm excited because fall and spring are my favorite seasons. I like them much more than the extremes of summer or winter. I love the weather we are having right now - overcast, even a little rainy, and a bit chilly but definitely not cold. One of my favorite parts of this time of the year is the start of football. For anyone wondering, however, I am finished with big time college football. Like NASCAR, college football has pushed me past the threshold of annoyance to the point where I am just not interested anymore. I'll give you a few examples.

I'm tired of all the scandals, for one. Every major program breaks the rules in some way. Some offenses are serious, others aren't. What really annoys me is the way the NCAA handles the situation. Either seriously punish people or just admit that everyone cheats and move on. Don't tell me the Ohio State players did something wrong and then suspend them for 5 games but let them play in the bowl game. What a joke. And I'm tired of ESPN running story after story about this stuff. It's like steroids in baseball. After a while I start asking "Who cares?". The first thing I thought when Auburn won the championship last year was that they better enjoy this while it lasts because there will be a review 4-5 years from now showing that Cam Newton's dad accepted money for him to go to school there.

I'm tired of all of the realignments or threat of conference changes. Most of these schools have been in their respective conferences for years without any trouble. It is just when schools figure out they can make more money if they join a conference with a bigger TV deal that they decide to leave. It's all about money, and it wouldn't be this way except for the fact that Americans eat college football up. We love it. I have a question: Is there another country in the world that places so much emphasis on athletics in institutions of higher learning? Universities are supposed to be centers of learning, not major athletics. Yet because we love these sports so much it has produced a cesspool of scandal and shady activity (see above paragraph).

Another thing that irritates me to no end is the fact that you can't have the TV on for more than 5 minutes without being bombarded by news regarding Notre Dame football. Here is a newsflash for everyone: Notre Dame hasn't been relevant in football for 20 years. They are easily the most overrated team in the nation and they achieve this distinction year after year. They are ranked 16th. Seriously? They got beat by South Florida at home. They are seriously ranked 16th? The only good thing about them being on TV all of the time is that I'm constantly reminded of how terrible they are. How about their coach yelling like a lunatic and saying that he didn't realize that he was going to be on TV so much. Really? What a joke. He'll probably win 8 games this year and they'll sign him to a 10 year/$100 million contract because they'll think he is going to be the next Lou Holtz. Actually I take all of this back. I like that they are on TV all of the time. I really enjoy watching them flounder around like a buffoon. It makes my weekend.

Purdue stinks. This really has nothing to do with college football in general but it does precipitate my lagging interest. I am tired of watching them struggle against teams like Middle Tennessee just to get killed by even just decent Big Ten schools. That routine is so predictable there really is no purpose of watching anymore.

Should I even mention the BCS and lack of a playoff system???

5 comments:

  1. Maybe you should root for a good school like Rose-Hulman. I don't think they ever got in trouble for recruiting violations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I was actually thinking of starting to root for my own school, DePauw. They are division 3 meaning no scholarships given.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you, and I used to rant and rave about this stuff when it came to college football for the past five years, but I've came to the reality of just accepting college football for what it is: Individual weeks of mutually exclusive gambling events, with the season's end results carrying less meaning than that of any joker fantasy league amongst bar buddies.

    I put NFL above college football for sure, but I still enjoy my Saturday football without a doubt. I've just learned to accept it for what it is...a corrupt farm system for pro football.

    In fact, it's funny you had this post, because I'll provide a link to a blog post from my favorite sports talk radio host, Steve Czaban, which says much of the same as you have, but how he's just learned to embrace it all with an attitude similar to mine.

    (I don't think this will post as a link, you'll probably have to cut and paste in your browser.)

    http://czabe.blogspot.com/2011/09/let-chinese-downhill-begin.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, I've been saying this about high school/college/professional sports for so long that when the husband read your rant, he thought of me. It really is too bad that sports for entertainment has to be so corrupt and broken. It's yet another example of something that started with a good idea and ended up horribly wrong. :(

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. @BoilerPip: Yeah, funny how similar the posts are. I like when they say the whole system is "hopelessly corrupt". I really don't find it all that amusing. I feel like most of these people live in some kind of fantasy land where consequences don't exist. Though I do agree it is quite entertaining to watch some of these train wreck programs fail.

    @Erin: Yeah, I agree for the most part. However, I don't think you can really include pro sports in this conversation. That is a totally different topic because those athletes play for guys whose job it is to run a business and make money, and the players do this for their job so obviously it's OK for them to take money. I'm sure some of this corruption happens at the high school to some extent but I don't think it's widespread. I hope I am right about that.

    ReplyDelete