Sunday, February 26, 2012

Bleomycin Says "Suck It."

After dealing with this wart on my thumb for years, trying almost every therapeutic option available, I finally was able to get rid of it with 4 injections of the anti-cancer agent Bleomycin in one sitting. The injections were quite uncomfortable and the tip of my thumb turned purple and necrotic and looked like it was dying for about two weeks but the wart slowly flaked off and I was left with normal healthy skin.

I know this may not seem like a big deal to most people, but it was to the point where the lesion was affecting my job. I was very self conscious when touching people to do an exam, especially little kids with their parents watching every move I make. And after fighting with it for several years and failing I was beginning to think I was either going to have to live with it or amputate my thumb. So I am very happy now that I can approach people with my hands and not have to worry about what they are thinking about my thumb.

A picture of my thumb, post Moxa treatment. You can't see the actual lesion itself because the burn is covering it. You can see the distribution, however. It was quite large.




My thumb as it appears now, 6 weeks out from Bleomycin treatment.

7 comments:

  1. I think that first photo doesn't even show how big it was. It wasn't just on the top, it was down the side of your thumbnail as well. The treatment was well worth the $157 we paid. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! But there went a significant part of your blogging.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I didn't have a better picture to post.

    I've only posted about it two or three times in 200 posts. I'm sure I can find something else to talk about. I've been thinking about shifting the focus more towards medical topics that I encounter (not my own personal medical issues but things I see while at work).

    ReplyDelete
  4. While watching a show today on a British hospital's "Bizarre ER", I was wondering if you had seen some bizarre injuries. (The ones involving things shoved through eyes are really frightening...). It seems that a lot of people get fish hooks stuck through their hands or fingers too! auntie 502

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't get much trauma at our hospital because we are 10 minute drive from the largest trauma center in the state. Off the top of my head, I remember seeing an adolescent girl in an ER in Cleveland. The nurse triage sheet said she had a "splinter in her foot." When I walked in she had an 18 inch stake jammed in her foot. That was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr Sutton wants to know when you are moving back to Loogootee?

    Joe

    ReplyDelete