Sunday, May 20, 2012

How Do You Mess Up This Business Model?



I work about a mile from Hooters and over the past several months it had become my routine to stop in on Friday at dinner time, have a beer, wait for the evening commute traffic to calm down, and get wings to go for Sarah and I.  I got to know a couple of the girls who worked there and I wouldn't even have to order cause they already knew what I wanted.  It was kind of like Cheers.  The area where the restaurant was located is a bit run down (though I think it is improving) and a lot of other restaurants around have closed.  A month or so ago I asked one of the girls if they had heard anything about the restaurant closing and she told me their lease was up at the end of May and they were going to go to a month-to-month lease afterward.

Last weekend I wasn't able to go because I had to work Friday night.  Suffice it to say that I was a bit shocked this Friday when I left work and pulled into the parking lot to discover that the restaurant shut down.  It was completely vacant, lights shut off, looked like no one had been there for years.  Apparently last Sunday was the last day of business (Sarah and I were in St. Louis that day watching the Cardinals play.).  I left the parking lot, got on the expressway, and drove to Buffalo Wild Wings in Carmel.  Sarah placed an order over the phone and despite getting there when they said the food would be done I still had to wait 20 minutes.  Nearly an hour and a half after leaving work I finally got home.

I actually like Hooters wings better than Buffalo Wild Wings, but with that being said Buffalo Wild Wings is pretty good and there is a location 5 minutes from where we live so we won't starve for wings.  But it won't be the same picking up wings there.

4 comments:

  1. Was once told a recession was when your neighbor lost his job and a depression was when you lost yours. I think this is a depression. And the media is reporting that the economy has turned around and getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that saying. But for me this is more of a psychological depression than a financial one.

    The area is in a triangle between I-465 and I-65 in a busy part of town but has really gone down hill in the past 10 years or so. As I said, restaurants have shut down and even the mall that is there is basically vacant. They just finished a bunch of construction through the area and I did notice one of the vacant car lots just re-opened so I'm hoping the area picks back up some business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are there any other Hooters around? Those must be some kind of "wings"! auntie 502

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, there are a few other locations in the Indy area but they are all out of the way. I really don't see myself going to them more than a couple of times per year.

    ReplyDelete