Wednesday, May 2, 2012

You Are What You Eat, Part I

Older people frequently mention how younger people act like they are invincible.  When I was younger I didn't consciously think like this but looking back on some of my actions I think I definitely had that attitude at times.  I did things when I was younger without thought that I do cautiously today.  For instance, when we used to go on family vacations I didn't think twice about the consequences of flying.  Today, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous when taking off or landing.

Eating follows a similar trend.  In the past I've eaten whatever I wanted.  I'm starting to get a little more cautious there too.  I am in the worse shape in my life.  I admittedly hate working out.  And while I don't eat completely unhealthy, I have my moments, usually with late night double stuff Oreos.  Two things concern me.  First off, I'm gaining weight in the abdominal area without really gaining total weight.  I think this means I'm likely losing muscle mass.  Secondly, I am having weird health things happen to me that I've never had happen in my life.  Mostly dermatological conditions in my extremities, like warts and bouts of folliculitis.

In an attempt to get somewhat healthy, I started tracking what I've been eating using My Fitness Pal.  I've been doing it for about two weeks and once I've established more data I'm gonna publish my results in the second part of this post.  The results are a bit surprising and educational for sure.  Anyone interested in losing weight or trying to eat healthier can join the site for free.

4 comments:

  1. I should get back to using a food diary. Keep checking the blood sugar and it stays good. I've been getting off my diet a little more lately and think it has stopped my weight loss. Been exercising more but not losing weight. Really like the calorie counter on the My Fitness Pal site.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you already using My Fitness Pal or did you check it out after reading this post?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Checked it out after reading your post. I've checked several calorie counting web sites and have used an Excel spreadsheet for a food diary. This is probably the best I've seen though I've haven't started a food diary at this site.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah there is no reason why you should be using your own spreadsheet or calorie checks. Just sign up for a free site like My Fitness Pal and log your food intake through their site. They have a huge, user generated database, that will have everything you eat. It is simple and amazing and very helpful. In fact, I'm gonna start recommending it to my patients, especially the younger ones. If anyone is interested, out of all the weight loss regimens available, I recommend Weight Watchers the most.

    ReplyDelete