The 4S is the first iPhone I've ever owned. I've had it for several months now (I think it was released last October) and have had time to get used to it and learn what it can do. With this being the case, I must say that the iPhone is one of the most amazing objects I have ever owned. Technology evolves quickly so it is easy to forget that just a few years ago devices like this didn't exist. But if you take the time to think about what all it can do, it really is a remarkable device.
Besides the obvious features of communication via phone, text message, or email, the phone has more or less replaced my camera for all but the most special occasions. The camera is quite good. It can shoot full high definition video as well. I surf the internet using the quite good Safari browser or apps like Wikipedia or IMDB. I check the weather forecast. I check locations and get directions using Google Maps. I check the latest sports scores. I almost don't even need a computer the internet experience is that good. I watch TV on the phone on HBO Go. It's how I'm re-watching the Sopranos. I read books on the phone on my Kindle app. I listen to music using Pandora, even connecting the phone to my car stereo by bluetooth. I keep a calendar of all my events so I know where I'm going and what I'm supposed to do. I play games on the phone, which some of them are quite good. I use it at work to look up drugs and their doses.
This single device has replaced or greatly reduced my need for a camera, a computer, a GPS device, a TV, a bookshelf or textbooks at all, a stereo, a calendar, and a gaming system, and it fits in the palm of my hand. Not only does the iPhone do all of these things, but it is so intuitive to use a toddler could figure out how to do most of it. The device is nearly perfect (I do have a few complaints, but they are so minor they aren't worth mentioning.). Oh yeah, did I mention that it could make phone calls?
On a side note, I'd like to say happy father's day to all of the dads out there. Dad, I hope you enjoy your TV. And I'd like to thank Joe for picking up a copy of A Game of Thrones, the book. It should hold me over until season 3 picks up on HBO.
No comments:
Post a Comment