Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A New Direction

This is the first time I've posted on this website in nearly a month.  Quite honestly I've lost interest in the site.  I've also found that I haven't had as much time to update the site as well.  I've thought about deleting it several times during the past month.  However, this past week I've come across three medically relevant news stories on Yahoo! just through casual web browsing and thought that including these stories on my site would be a good way to rejuvenate the site and get it focused on a more specific topic.

Doing a medical site is tough.  First, I don't want to tell medical stories I've experienced due to fear of violating patient rights, which is easy to do even if you are being very careful.  Secondly, I don't want to discuss specific medical conditions because there is more than one way to skin a cat and the way I diagnose and treat something might be different than the way a reader's doctor does things and I don't want to cause controversy.  Thirdly, there are a lot of medical websites out there, some good and some bad, and it would be easy to regurgitate information but that wouldn't really contribute to medical news and/or knowledge as a whole.

Like I said, I came across a few medical news stories this week by accident and I thought sharing similar stories in the future with small commentary would make for interesting discussion.  I will be using this new focus on the site as kind of an experiment.  If I think it goes well I will possibly try running a similar but separate site for my clinic patients (and anyone who wants to view the site) in the future.  Feel free to chime in with any questions, concerns, criticisms, or suggestions.  Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it could be interesting (No teaser on an article that might show up?). I'm looking for a way to skin a corn (why shouldn't diabetics use salicylic acid?).

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good question. I have actually never heard that diabetics shouldn't use salicylic acid. The brief research I did said there was fear of the agent causing infection if people who have peripheral neuropathy with sensory loss. That's interesting because salicylic acid soap is used to prevent skin infections. I guess I would say use with caution but I don't think having diabetes is an absolute contraindication for its use.

    As for the story, the story of the day that caught my attention was the new strain of gonorrhea that is infecting Europe. But new stories come everyday so I decided to just introduce my plan with the intentions of new stories starting later this week.

    ReplyDelete