Thursday, June 19, 2014
Day Drivers
I only work in the mornings on Thursdays. I typically leave work around 12:30 and am on the road between then and 1:00 pm. Otherwise I am never on the road during this time of day in the middle of the week. One of the things I have noticed while having this work schedule for nearly the past year is that the types of drivers on the road during rush hour are much different than the middle of the day. During rush hour there is significantly more traffic, people mostly go the same speed, and people mostly drive in a sane and safe manor. Day driving is completely different. There are less cars and subsequently more room on the road. The discrepancy between speeds is higher. There are some people driving the actual speed limit. Most people, however, are driving significantly faster than the morning and afternoon commute speeds. As long as I can, I drive 65 mph on the expressways regardless of the situation. I rarely change my speed. This is pretty much the commute pace before and after work. In the middle of the day, however, I go 65 mph and I get passed by a lot of cars. People drive much faster. Plus there is a lot more weaving around, more inconsistent speeds, and overall just poorer quality drivers. At first I was going to blame it on older people but the more times I've completed this trip the more I think that is an unfair characterization. I think everyone in general who is out and about in the middle of the day are worse drivers than people who have more regular 8a-5p jobs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment