Sunday, October 4, 2015

Physicals That Aren't Physicals and Pharmacists Who Perform Physicals

There is this thing that exists called a medicare wellness visit or medicare wellness exam that isn't really an exam at all.  Once people turn 65 years and qualify for medicare, they get this booklet that informs them of what benefits they have with their new insurance.  Included in these benefits is an annual wellness exam.  The trouble is this "wellness exam" isn't an exam at all.  It's a series of question designed to assess one's health risks, including fall risk.  So now you have people who have been going to the doctor their entire lives, getting annual exams, being told that their wellness exam does not actually involve an exam.  Imagine the confusion.  It's unfortunate nomenclature.  In fact, the "exam" doesn't even have to be performed by a physician (or a nurse practitioner or physician assistant for that matter).

I was sitting in a meeting earlier this week and we were discussing these exams and it was mentioned that one of the clinics now has a pharmacist who would be performing the exams, managing patient's medicines, etc.  I thought we already had a position for people who did such things - it's called a doctor.  What in the world are we doing?!?

On a completely different topic, I did possibly the nerdiest thing I have ever done in my life over this past weekend.  Sarah and I went to listen to an orchestra play music from the Legend of Zelda gaming series.  I've always been a big fan of the games and I absolutely love the music so it was really cool to get to hear it performed by a live orchestra.

No comments:

Post a Comment