Thursday, July 12, 2018

My State Of Gaming 2018

I'm a sucker for Nintendo games.  I'm specifically a sucker for Zelda games.  That's what started this movement for me.  When Breath of the Wild was released last year to critical acclaim, I was skeptical.  One because they changed the proven formula that had dominated Zelda games over the past 20 years.  Two because the previous game Skyward Sword was critically acclaimed as well and I didn't like it at all.  After playing the game once I went out and bought a Switch, I was that impressed.  Breath of the Wild is fantastic, no doubt about it, but has stuck with me more than the game is the Switch system itself.

Despite Nintendo's rich history of success with mobile systems and considering my love of Zelda, I've never been into mobile gaming.  I never understood the appeal.  Why play on an under-powered system with a tiny screen when I could use a more powerful console? Plus, if I'm away from home I'm either busy or would rather be doing something other than playing games.  The Switch changed my viewpoint. 

Maybe it's because I'm older or lazier or more busy.  I'm not really sure the exact cause, but for whatever reason I enjoy mobile games.  I found that I was much more likely to pick up the Switch and sit on the couch and play than go downstairs and turn on the PS4.  I think it makes it easier to sit with Sarah while she reads and we can still watch TV.  My only complaint with the Switch isn't the lack of games, but the lack of games I'm interested in.  After Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey, my interest has dwindled. This is where the 3DS comes into the picture (seen above, actually it's a 2DS, Hyrule Edition obviously).

Growing bored of the games on the Switch (and honestly of the games on the PS4 as well until Red Dead Redemption 2 is released), I saw a story where the Hyrule edition of the new 2DS was coming out and I decided to pull the trigger.  This is the first true Nintendo handheld I've owned.  It comes pre-loaded with A Link Between Worlds, a sort of successor to A Link To The Past, one of my favorite Zelda games.  Many Zelda games came out on Nintendo's handheld systems only, and since I've never owned one until now, I've never had access to many of them.  A Link Between Worlds is a pretty great game thus far, definitely worthy of a play.  Not only does owning the 2DS open up a lot of Zelda games I've never had access to, it also opens up a pretty fantastic non-Zelda gaming library.  I'm sure it will keep me busy for months.  I'm happy with the purchase, but this is a bit of an odd environment Nintendo has created.

The Hyrule Edition of the New 2DS was released just last week.  The original New 2DS was released in 2017.  Despite being a relatively new system, it seems to essentially be a 3DS which came out in 2011.  The games all say 3DS.  Heck, even the system screen says 3DS when it initially boots.  A Link Between Worlds was released in 2013.  So in gaming in 2018, I'm most excited about portable gaming and playing on a system that is essentially 7 years old.  You can tell too - the graphics are not in high def, the transition between programs is sluggish, etc. This thing definitely isn't packing a lot of horse power.  I'm also not sure how much longer this system will be supported.  With the Switch being both portable and a console, does a 2DS/3DS make sense in 2018? 

Despite its limitations, I'm really excited about the idea of portable gaming, both on the 3DS and Switch.  It opens up an avenue of convenience to gaming in a busy day and age.  If I have 15 or 20 minutes to spare, I'll pick up one of the systems and play.  I would never do that on a traditional console.  Now, off to save Hyrule again!

No comments:

Post a Comment