A few months ago Apple introduced its Screen Time feature to its iOS platforms. I already knew I was probably spending too much time on Twitter, but seeing the numbers on the screen were a bit depressing. I was spending well over an hour per day on Twitter. I was following about 200 people making up a combination of personal interests, professional interests, and news. Essentially, I use Twitter as a modern day RSS feed. The trouble is that I follow a lot of accounts that provide overlapping information or retweet each other. I was already thinking of trimming up my timeline and a conversation with a couple of my friends about the subject convinced me to do so.
I started with getting rid of overlapping accounts. I don't need to follow Sports Illustrated and Sports Illustrated sub accounts as they frequently retweet each other. Next, I got rid of mostly individuals that I follow who post a lot of non-sense. I love Ariana Grande, but good grief her Twitter feed is neither informative or entertaining. This cut my follow number nearly in half, to around 100. I'm hoping to maximize the amount of information that I can get from the site while minimizing the number of retweets and useless information that I see. So far this has been successful. The first week my screen time was down 27%. I am hoping to get my news for the day in an hour or less.
No comments:
Post a Comment