Saturday, February 13, 2021

Star Wars: The High Republic - Light of the Jedi

 



I never thought I'd read a Star Wars book. I assumed it would be too confusing because of the fictional names & races of people as well as fictional locations. The perfect array of circumstances changed my mind, however. First, as discussed on this site, I've been consuming large amounts of Star Wars content recently. Once I finished Rebels, my Star Wars appetite wasn't satisfied but I had run out of content. I started playing Jedi: Fallen Order again and by coincidence, The High Republic series was released in January. Perfect timing to fill the void of Star Wars content in my life. The final set of circumstances was my goal to read more in 2021. Reading books and topics I enjoy was encouraged by Sarah, and was a good idea. I just finished Light of the Jedi, and it was enjoyable. I think having increased Star Wars knowledge from watching Dave Filoni's shows helped with understanding. However, this book takes place 200 years before the events of A New Hope, and thus has all new characters with the exception of Yoda who is only mentioned a couple of times. The author did a good job of reintroducing characters, reminding you of who they are and their importance, which helped greatly. 

I'm sure plenty of plot summaries and reviews for the book exist. Briefly, the book is split into three parts. The first part involves a mysterious and tragic hyperspace accident, where a ship is destroyed at light speed, resulting in high velocity projectiles crashing towards planets. The Republic, with help of the Jedi, work to save as many people as possible by preventing the projectiles from crashing. The second part of the book introduces us to the antagonist, the pirate group the Nihil, who is responsible for the hyperspace accident. The third part of the book discusses how the Republic and the Jedi deal with the Nihil, a new enemy to the republic in the Outer Rim.

The book overall was enjoyable and I plan to continue reading books in the Star Wars saga. Unfortunately, the next book in the High Republic series doesn't come out until this summer. I will have to circle back around to it. In the meantime, I plan to read other Star Wars books in chronological order. The next book takes place right before the Clone Wars and is about Count Dooku. One of the interesting things about the Star Wars books is that they are written by multiple authors. Hopefully the next book is as enjoyable and easy to read. I look forward to continuing my Star Wars adventures, this time in book form.

No comments:

Post a Comment