I recently downloaded Apple's newest desktop OS, macOS 11: Big Sur. As I was doing research for this post, I realized that I was quite behind the times (as usual) as people have been discussing Big Sur for several months. At their fall update in 2020, I remember there being discussion about Apple switching to their own processors as well as developing a roadmap to better integrate macOS with iOS apps. I only vaguely remember the announcement about Big Sur.
The reason why I bring all of this up is because after seeing the visual changes that came with Big Sur, I was surprised at how pretty the new look is. The appearance is modern, sleek, and overall appealing. Apparently Big Sur is the first time macOS has progressed past the 10th version in nearly 20 years, which is amazing when you think about how rapidly technology and operating systems progress. The old look was dated, and a refresh was badly needed. Specifically, I like the transparent info bar at the top of the screen as well as the appearances of the icons on the dock. Finder windows and native Apple apps look sleeker as well. Notifications appear iOS-like, as does the updated notifications center. This is obviously the first step in their desktop-mobile platform integration plan, and it looks and feels fantastic. Notification center still feels underdeveloped, but I think (or hope) that these integration efforts will keep development momentum going for future improvements. Overall a welcome update with more positive changes to look forward to, I am sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment