Saturday, June 12, 2021

WandaVision

 


I saw previews for WandaVision before watching any of the Marvel movies. Even before I knew who Wanda Maximoff or Vision was, I was intrigued by this show. I find the 1950's and '60s decades interesting, and knowing the show was set in that time period was enough to peak my interest. Also, it seemed odd that a superhero show from Marvel would have such a setting. After watching the Marvel movies and learning of Wanda's and Vision's backstories, I was ready to watch WandaVision. This show is fantastically odd and entertaining. I liked it quite a bit.

From the very beginning, you know something isn't quite right about the town of Westview. It seems almost too perfect. Wanda and Vision are leading a seemingly perfect life, while the neighbors all act like they're in a TV show. The flow of time is quite rapid, with a week in our time corresponding to a decade in Westview. The first few episodes are spent setting up the scene. You know something is off, but it is difficult to pinpoint exactly what is going on. It feels a bit like watching Lost, which is a good thing.

As the show progresses, layers of the illusion are peeled, increasingly revealing the true nature of what is going on in Westview. Essentially, Wanda has turned the town into her own ideal life with Vision. The townsfolk's minds have been infiltrated by Wanda, making them think and act as if they are part of the show. Vision, of course, is dead. He died in Infinity War, making him a complete illusion. Meanwhile, those in the real world, including the FBI and government agency SWORD, have become aware of the situation and attempt to enter Wanda's illusion to put an end to it. Oh, and did I mention a second witch becomes aware of Wanda's actions and enters Westview to learn of Wanda's powers?

Over the course of the season, the show progresses from a sitcom focusing on Wanda and Vision's life, to a mix of sitcom and traditional Marvel viewing when we get SWORD's point of view, to essentially a Marvel show by the end. SWORD creates a new version of Vision based on parts from the previous Vision that were recovered, Wanda ends her control over Westview to give the citizens their lives back, and in the process ends Vision's life once and for all (or has she?) and transforms into the Scarlet Witch. The show also introduces Wanda's twin boys, who also have super powers and appear in the comics. This could have future implications for the MCU, though the twins' characters were underplayed and thus not developed in the show.

WandaVision was a treat to watch. It was wonderfully done and a unique MCU experience. In fact, it has been one of my favorite MCU watches thus far. I applaud Marvel for taking the risk with this show. It turned out fantastic.




No comments:

Post a Comment