Friday, July 2, 2021

Mythic Quest: Season 2

 


I started watching Mythic Quest partly because it was a TV show about a video game company that started during the pandemic. What interested me the most in the show, however, was the backing from the crew behind It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which has been one of my most favorite show over the past ten years or so. As I finish season 2, I kind of have mixed emotions about the show.

The show isn't really about video games. It focuses more on the complex colleague relationships that develop when people with different personalities work together. They just happen to work at a video game company which serves as the main setting for the show. I'm completely fine with this. The show has its moments where Sunny-like comedy occurs, but there is one major difference between Mythic Quest and Sunny that really limits Mythic Quest's appeal: a lot of the characters are not very likable. All of Sunny's characters are likable. About half of Mythic's characters are kind of annoying, which limits the shows appeal quite a bit. It has its funny moments, but it also has its fair share of moments with characters that I don't really care about. Maybe this is a problem for me only? Don't get me wrong, the show is good and well made. I think the annoying characters limit its appeal, however.

Season two's most memorable episodes for me featured a two episode arc involving writer C.W. Longbottom. The first episode was a trip down memory lane, taking place when C.W. was much younger and his career was just starting. The funny thing is, this was a documentary episode and wasn't even trying to be funny. The second episode takes place in the present and involves C.W. visiting his "friend" to take revenge on him. I thought the episode had several funny moments, and ended with C.W. learning his friend was dying and they reconciled their differences. It's interesting to me that these were my favorite episodes of the season because one wasn't even a comedy and C.W. is more of a side character than a main character. Maybe that's why I enjoyed the episodes so much. 

Overall I think this show is good and I continue to watch it, but I wouldn't get Apple TV+ just for this show. We've had access due to repeated free subscriptions because we continue to buy Apple products. It has its funny moments and is well made, but I find half the staff at MQ headquarters annoying which subtracts to my overall enjoyment of the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment