Saturday, August 21, 2021

2021 SI Swimsuit Issue

 


The Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue has nostalgia value to me, so I still check it out every year. Up until the past couple of years, the issue had been released in February. Then they decided to release it in May, which happened for exactly one year. This year and last year, May came and went without the issue being released. Presumably Covid had something to do with this. At some random point in the summer the issue was released, making it somewhat of a guessing game as to when it would be available. Personally, I was fine with the familiarity of having a February release. Maybe I don't like change?

Another change they've made more recently is having multiple models on the cover. Not simultaneously, but actually having different covers. I'm not a huge fan of this change either. Who was on the cover was always an important aspect of this issue. Having multiple covers de-values the cover shot, in my opinion. This is the 3rd year in a row they've had multiple covers, and have had multiple covers every year since 2016 except for one. 

This year's issue wasn't overly memorable, much like last year's issue. They were at various locations throughout the United States, but to me all of the locations looked the same. Also, they featured a lot of social media stars and I don't know that I care for that either. I understand what they are trying to accomplish by pointing out great work some of the non-models are doing, but let's not overthink this issue. To be fair, they have featured non-models in the past. Beyonce was on the cover one year, as an example. The highlights for me were Olivia Culpo (above) & Haley Kalil (below). Both have been in the issue a few times at this point, and are becoming my new favorite regulars (now that all of my old favorites have moved on, like Marissa Miller). There were a couple of rookies that stood out as well. They had social media backgrounds, so we will see if they appear in subsequent issues.



No comments:

Post a Comment