Monday, December 20, 2021

X-men: Days Of Future Past (2014)


This movie also had several interesting talking points, so I'm scrapping the idea of lumping all of these movies together into a single post like I did with the first three X-Men movies.

The movie starts in the distant future, where a war pitting Sentinel robots against humans and mutants has developed. The humans and mutants are losing, so the X-Men develop a plan to send Wolverine back into time to stop the event that allowed the Sentinel's to be created. The war is so bad, Xavier and Magneto actually work together to allow Wolverine to time travel.

Wolverine travels to the 1970s to stop Mystique from murdering Dr. Bolivar Trask. Trask is developing Sentinel robots to fight mutants, and Mystique is trying to stop him to protect mutants. During this process, Mystique is captured and her DNA is studied, allowing for the creation of Sentinels that can adapt and acquire mutants powers, similar to how Mystique can change her appearance. 

When Wolverine arrives in the '70s, Xavier is a drug addict (using Hank McCoy's serum to block Xavier's ability to listen to people's thoughts, which also gives him the ability to walk) and Magneto is in prison for killing JFK (wait, what?). To make a long story short, Wolverine is able to convince Xavier and Magneto to work together to prevent Mystique from being captured. This despite their hatred for each other because of their feelings for Mystique and different opinions on mutants. 

I've listed a few additional points of interest below.

  • Peter Dinklage is great as Dr. Trask. I've never seen anything that he is in where he wasn't fantastic.
  • Peter Maximoff makes an appearance as Quicksilver, helping Wolverine free Magneto from his Pentagon prison. Sadly, there was no Wanda.
  • We're introduced to a young William Stryker, and learn how Stryker acquires Wolverine to enhance his body with metal. When Stryker turns to the camera after discovering Wolverine, it's revealed that Stryker is actually Mystique. I'm a bit confused by this as I know Stryker isn't always Mystique, so I don't know the complete meaning of this.
  • The scene at the end where Magneto picks up the old RFK Stadium in Washington and places it around the White House seems completely random and unnecessary.
  • Magneto claims he didn't kill JFK on purpose, he was actually trying to save him because he was a mutant. Interesting.




No comments:

Post a Comment