Saturday, May 20, 2023

IGN Playlist


My gaming landscape has become so complicated that it has come down to this. I am now using an app to organize the games I am playing, games I want to play, and games that I have finished. I had previously come up with this idea of an "A List" and "B List" of games. The A List contains games that I know I want to play. Tears of the Kingdom is an example. The Zelda games are some of my all-time favorites, so there is no question that Tears of the Kingdom is a game that I want to play. The B List contains games that I am interested in and would check out if I had a chance, but may not necessarily purchase. 

All of this has become necessary because of Playstation Plus. I've never had access to 400+ games before, and having access to this many games greatly increases the number of games on my B List that are available for me to play. This opens the possibility of an interesting phenomenon where B games transition to A games. For instance, Horizon: Zero Dawn and God of War were both on my B list. Now that I've played them, the other games in those series have transitioned to my A List because I liked them so much.

Previously I was saving both A and B List games to store wish lists. The advantage of this is that you are notified when games go on sale. Otherwise, there are no additional options. You can't even make separate lists of games. Last week I stumbled upon the IGN Playlist app. I already use IGN quite a bit to read game reviews and guides. Playlist allows you to organize games into categories such as "Currently Playing", "Want to Play", etc. One of the advantages of using the app is that it can cross platforms, something the store wish lists cannot do. The bigger advantage of using the app, however, is that it acts as a gateway to all of the great content IGN has on the game. Instead of searching for what you're looking for, you can now go to Playlist and click on the game to access the walkthrough, for instance.

I've always been a fan of digital organization, and it is easy to micromanage game lists with this app. That is not what I want to do. However, it is cool to have a place to organize my thoughts on what games I want to play next, as well as have a quick gateway to guides and other relevant game info.

No comments:

Post a Comment