Wednesday, February 7, 2024

My State of Mobile Gaming in 2024: Part 3 - The Steam Deck

 


I've been interested in the Steam Deck since its release. The thought of having a handheld gaming device powerful enough to play high-end PC games is super cool. I don't have a PC at home (I use an iMac) and so I also saw this device as a gateway to computer games, as games for Mac are limited compared to the library for PC. Despite my interest, time and money have prevented my pursuit of the device. Between the Playstation and Switch, I already have access to more games than I have time to play. Additionally, the Steam Deck isn't exactly cheap. It's priced well for what it does, but at $400-$600 depending on features, I need to be all-in on the device in order to spend that kind of money. With that being said, the Steam Deck is a device that has remained on my radar but I never seriously considered buying one until a chance conversation over the holiday.

I had never seen a Steam Deck in person until this past Christmas. I was talking to someone who had one and so I got the chance to play with it a bit. We were discussing the advantages of handheld gaming, and I mentioned my intention to buy a Playstation Portal. He then informed me that you could use Remote Play for the PS5 on a Steam Deck. My head nearly exploded as I had never once thought about that possibility. I started doing research and discovered that there is an app for the Steam Deck called Chiaki that enables Playstation Remote Play (apparently you can run this on the Switch as well). For the first time since the Portal was announced, it had competition in the form of the Steam Deck. Now I had a decision to make: Do I pick the Portal that is more affordable but with less features, or do I pick the Steam Deck that is more expensive but is a whole separate gaming system? Tune in to Part 4 to learn about my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment