Saturday, April 6, 2024

My State of Mobile Gaming in 2024: Part 6 - Rollerdrome

 


I've been interested in Playstation Remote Play since the beginning when it launched on the PS4. Initially, however, I struggled to find a great use case for it. In 2023, I got the idea to use the service to play games on the weekends that I might not necessarily take the time to play otherwise (i.e. putz-style games). The release of the Portal solved a major issue that I had with Remote Play, and that is the inconvenience of playing games on the iPad. While it it neat that you can do this, you can't exactly curl up on the couch with the iPad in one hand and the DualSense controller in the other to play games. Despite this issue being solved, I still wasn't sure about how much I would use the Portal. It turns out that I have had no trouble keeping an agenda for the portable device.

I do use the Portal to play putz-style games such as Unpacking. These are games that I am interested in but do not want to necessarily spend my main gaming time playing. They are perfect for playing while sitting on the couch with a (sports) game on in the background. However, I've been able to expand my agenda quite a bit beyond this. Because of Playstation Plus, games are continually being added to the service. While some of these games I definitely want to play, there are a lot of games that I am interested in checking out but not sure if I want to dedicate my main playing time to them until I do a trial first. The Portal has been perfect for this situation, as I am able to fire up the device and try out these games while on the couch with Sarah. It turns out that there are a lot of games that meet this criteria, and in the 2 months that I've owned the Portal, I have not run out of games to play. I featured Rollerdrome in this post, as it is just one example of a game that I played on the Portal that I likely would not have played otherwise. Rollerdrome is pretty awesome, and some of these games that I started out with on the Portal I've decided to continue to play on the big screen in the basement, such as Final Fantasy VII Remake. Some of these game demos come in the form of actual Playstation Plus Trials, while others are the full game that has become available on Playstation Plus. A few of these games I've had downloaded on my PS5 for over a year without playing. The Portal has been a great way for me to experience and play games that I'm interested in but not sure if I want to dedicate a large amount of time to play. 

No comments:

Post a Comment