Season 7 of Game of Thrones was all about Daenerys' arrival in Westeros and forging an alliance with Jon Snow, the literal joining of Fire & Ice. Daenerys arrives in order to finally conquer Westeros and sit on the Iron Throne. There are larger, more immediate fish to fry, however, and Jon travels south from Winterfell to meet Daenerys and warn her about the war to come with the army of the dead. The plot pace picks up a lot in season 7, which generally I was fine with. We had been hearing about the war with the army of the dead and how dangerous Danny's dragons would be in battle for years, and finally for the first time we got to see both of these in action in season 7. As I've previously discussed, the plots in books 4 and 5 were painfully slow, so slow in fact that what happened on screen in season 7 didn't even occur in the books, at least not yet. Martin has been famously slow at finishing the series. Because of this, I was completely fine with the pace of the show picking up steam. There are some negatives, such as Cersei suddenly becoming a competent military strategist, as well as some conveniently placed coincidences, but overall I think the benefits outweigh the negatives. If the show paced itself as the books did, it would still be on TV.
In addition to the Army of the Dead marching south (and they have one of Danny's dragons?!?) & Danny reaching Westeros, the other big reveal is that Jon Snow isn't a bastard at all. His father was a Targaryen and his mother was a Stark. This means that Jon Snow, of all people, is the actual true heir to the Iron Throne. I already knew this, but I can't for sure remember how this show ends. I think I know, but not for sure. Actually, as I was watching this season there were a few episodes where I wasn't sure if I had ever previously seen them. So I'm looking forward to seeing how this all plays out in season 8. In my final thought, how badass was Arya when she killed Petyr Baelish? Her story arch has been one of my favorites.

No comments:
Post a Comment