Thursday, May 1, 2025

A Minecraft Movie (2025)

 



Minecraft is a game that I've never played, but I am familiar with it because my kids play it. I've played Minecraft Dungeons with them a bit, but I've never played the original Minecraft game. I think if this game was around when I was a kid I would have loved it. I don't know that I 100% understand the plot in terms of what you are supposed to accomplish, but from what I've seen it is like a huge sandbox where you can build and create anything you can think of. In that regard, it feels a bit like a SimCity game except that you are not limited to city building. My kids create villages and houses and all kinds of various structures, and I've seen some very ornate builds and recreations of famous places that people have done online. That part of the game is very cool, and I certainly see why it is such an appealing and popular game.

Onto the movie. Being familiar with the game, I thought the movie was pretty good. It was certainly entertaining. Again, if I were a kid and into Minecraft I probably would have loved the movie. The addition of Jason Momoa's character as a burned out but macho high profile gamer from the '80s certainly added a lot to the entertainment value of the movie. Jennifer Coolidge was only in a few scenes but stole every scene she was in, as she tends to do. Of course, Jack Black as Minecraft Steve was great as well. 

This movie has become hugely successful, and with the success of the recent Mario Bros. movie, I really hope Hollywood continues to make good video game movies. I know that video games have been made into movies in the past with various levels of success, but the truth is that there are a lot of video games that tell great stories and have beloved characters. I'm hoping the success of A Minecraft movie and the Mario Bros. movie keeps the momentum going for future game-based movies. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Zelda movie. Additionally, I've played a few famous gaming series for the first time in the past year that have movies that I've never seen that I wouldn't mind going back to watch. This includes Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, and Assassins Creed. I have played 100s of hours of Gran Turismo over the years (including 200 hours on GT7 alone) and haven't seen the Gran Turismo movie yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment