It's as if Sony read my mind when they expanded streaming on the Playstation Portal. I just recently said that until Playstation makes a portable device that can play games on the device itself, streaming was likely the best way to play games on the Portal given the reliability issues of remote play on the PS5. In the somewhat recent past, Sony introduced streaming for select games on the PS5. Where this gets a bit odd is that there were two groups of game libraries for streaming. One group of games was on Playstation Plus, a library of around 400+ games. The second group was from your own personal library, where select games have the option to stream. For the Playstation Plus streaming library, the only use I found for this was if there was a game you wanted to try before committing to downloading the full game on your console. Otherwise, there was no real advantage to streaming the game unless you wanted to play it quickly or save hard drive space. This changed when you could stream the games on the Portal, however. Now you had access to Sony's large streaming library on the Portal, which is a huge advantage given the aforementioned reliability issues with remote play.
Having the ability to stream games from your own personal library was a bit difficult to understand. Your always going to get better performance running the game on the Playstation itself vs on the cloud, so why this would be a needed option was a bit confusing. That is, until Sony expanded the streaming capability of the Portal to include games from your own personal library. This is a huge upgrade, as obviously having the ability to stream the games from your library that you are wanting to play is better than being limited to an arbitrary library on Playstation Plus. This also expands the number of games available to stream to over 2,000+ games I've read. It's not perfect, as 4 out of the 5 games I'm playing right now don't offer streaming. I'm sure this will expand as time progresses, however. Last night I was able to play Forza: Horizon 5 for over an hour on my Portal via stream without a single disruption. Previously, I would have never tried to play a game like this on the Portal with remote play. Overall, I'd like to see Sony make a dedicated portable device that integrates with the PS6. I hope those rumors are true. In the meantime, the expansion of features and ways to play games on the the current Portal have been encouraging.

No comments:
Post a Comment