Saturday, April 25, 2026

Timepiece Blueprint - Year 0 - My Current Collection of Exercise & Quartz Watches

 



My idea of putting together a watch ("timepiece") blueprint came from a Teddy Baldassarre video. As I discussed in my initial post on my blueprint, there are too many watches that are appealing to own them all. Doing so is both impractical from a logistics standpoint (you can only wear one at a time and what's the point of having so many watches that you wear them infrequently, plus where do you store all of them?) as well as being irresponsible financially. Instead of owning a bunch of watches that you never have time to wear, he argues that you should have one good watch in a small number of watch categories to wear. I agree with this approach, and thus that is the approach I decided to take with my own watch collection. 

The watches I am talking about in this post fulfill two categories of watches on my timepiece blueprint. I'm grouping them together and naming them Year 0 because these are watches that I owned well before the concept of developing a watch collection was born. The first category of watch falls into a "rugged" or "wear and tear" style. Basically, a watch you aren't afraid to get dirty and possibly scratched. Most of the time, you would think of a Casio G-Shock or maybe a Timex for this category. However, I try to exercise five days per week, and really enjoy using a fitness tracker to monitor my vitals and distance. Since I'm heavily involved with the Apple ecosystem, it makes the most sense for me to use an Apple Watch as my fitness tracker. Since I wear this watch to exercise and thus get sweaty while wearing it, I placed this watch in my "wear and tear" category, a category that I've renamed exercise watch. I don't find myself in situations where my hands and forearms are going to get excessively dirty. If I did, I probably would get a Timex for this category. But since that isn't the case, and my Apple Watch already gets a little dirty from exercise, I use this watch for times when I may be getting a little dirty.

The second group of watches for my blueprint is a quartz watch. Quartz watches are highly accurate and reliable. As long as the battery is charged, they are easy to put on and will have an accurate time without having to wind the watch or reset it. With the exception of the Apple Watch, every watch I have ever owned is a quartz watch. Prior to starting my timepiece blueprint, I owned two quartz watches and have subsequently added two more. At this point in time, I have this category covered. However, the oldest two quartz watches I own are Citizen watches that are powered by Eco-Drive, and they do require some babysitting to keep them running as they run on solar power. If they do not receive sunlight, they will die and can take a bit of time to get them fully charged. I actually have a light source specifically designed to power these types of watches, that I have to periodically use to charge them if I haven't worn them much in the recent past. Luckily, I did pick up a Bulova quartz watch as a gift for my work anniversary, which I like quite a bit and it fits nicely into the traditional battery powered quartz category. Additionally, the watch I bought for Year 1 of my timepiece blueprint (more to come on this watch in a subsequent post) is also a quartz watch that is battery powered, so at this point I have this category covered.



No comments:

Post a Comment