Saturday, September 26, 2026

Kyle Larson vs The Double

 



I've been to the Indy 500 probably 20 times, maybe more. It is an absolute exhausting day as a fan. The race may run from noon until 3, but the day typically starts around 6 AM and doesn't usually finish until 6 PM, sometimes later. Fighting through the crowds to get to the track, during the race, and getting home is exhausting. Throw in the emotional ups and downs from the race itself, and I nearly need two days to recover. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to be a driver in the race. To expand on that, think about what Kyle Larson did - twice. He began the day in Indianapolis for the Indy 500, ran the race, then flew to Charlotte, NC to participate in NASCAR's Coca-Cola 600 on the same day. The first year he attempted this, the Indy 500 was massively delayed by rain, and by the time he reached Charlotte the same storm from Indy had also reached Charlotte, preventing him from racing in NASCAR's night race. The second year he attempted this feat, he crashed in the Indy 500. Thus, he didn't complete all 1,100 miles in any attempt. Regardless, to even attempt "The Double" is a feat in itself that only a handful of other drivers have tried.

In addition to the logistical and emotional and physical challenges of "The Double", this documentary highlighted Kyle as both a racer and a person. I admittedly don't watch much NASCAR. But I know that Kyle is a great driver, and I've always been fascinated by how much dirt track racing he still does while competing at the highest level of stock car racing. I have definitely become a Larson fan after watching this documentary and after his attempts at "The Double". I think it takes a ton of courage to strap yourself into an Indycar and race at IMS at those speeds, especially when open-wheeled racing isn't your background. He's a true racer, and he has become my favorite NASCAR driver because of these efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment