Monday, August 2, 2010

Building My Practice

I successfully completed my first rotation as in intern. I think overall things went pretty well. I got a good evaluation from my attending, which is always nice. I really liked working with him a lot but he works ridiculous hours and truthfully I was ready to move on to the next experience.

Today I started outpatient family medicine. It was kind of a slow day because the attending I was supposed to be with in the morning was out of town due to a missed flight. I am spending approximately 75% of my time doing outpatient general practice stuff, and the other 25% of my time working in nursing homes as this is now part of the requirements for family medicine residency.

The most exciting part of the day was the fact that I got my very first patient! She is a 20 year old female who came in for asthma flare-ups. I came up with my own treatment plan and am having her come back in a few weeks to check and make sure everything is working alright. Maybe for the first time ever I felt like a real doctor! I am doing junior high sports physicals tonight at a local junior high, which should be fun.

On a complete side note, kind of humorous to see DePauw on this list again. Go big or go home, that is my motto.

6 comments:

  1. I don't suppose that having her take her pants off was needed. That was an OB thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh, no. I did not request that she take her pants off...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never hurts to offer a complimentary pap smear, you know, just in case that might tie in with the asthma problems...you may make some bizzare discovery, and have something named after you. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. In all honesty, being a 20 year old G1P1 (meaning she is sexually active) female, if I were doing a thorough job I would have at least asked if she was getting occasional pap smears. It is a proven screening tool for cervical cancer and she is in the highest risk group for acquiring such a cancer. However, coming to the doctor for asthma and being my first patient ever I elected not to approach the subject.

    With that being said, however, maybe I will make my required research project tie asthma to breast disease or something. I will give it a big fancy title like "The Incidence of Reactive Airway Disease and Cyclic Fibrocystic Breast Disease." The fancy words will throw people off to make it seem medically relevant, lol.

    Joe's comment seems out of left field, but I think he is making fun of me for a comment I made a few years ago when practicing for my EMT test at DePauw. Sarah was running through scenarios with me for my practical exam, and one of them involved a pregnant lady in a mall that went into labor. I said one of the early things to do was remove her pants to see what was going on down there, which apparently was wrong. I disagree with the test. If someone spontaneously goes into labor in a public place, yes you should activate the emergency response system (911) but if you are a medical professional I really think you should take a look to see what is going on. How else would you know if the baby is at +3 station and ready to deliver immediately? You wouldn't have time for an ambulance in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think the practice EMT test was that far out of left field. Maybe in the area of never forgetting something that could be embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it makes sense if you know the back story.

    ReplyDelete