Pizza Hut Wing Street
Location: Multiple, even in smaller towns
Price Range: $-$$
Rating: 5 Cheeseburgers
We had a Pizza Hut in the student union at DePauw that I ate at quite frequently and it was pretty gross, honestly. They made personal pizzas that would sit under heating lamps for hours and typically would be terrible. The only reason I ate there so much was because I was frequently in a hurry and it was something quick and easy to grab for lunch. Subsequently I went four years, from DePauw graduation to the present, without visiting a Pizza Hut. I was burned out. When we moved to our new apartment, we moved 6 minutes from a Buffalo Wild Wings and 3 minutes from a Pizza Hut. One Friday evening I was really craving their bread sticks so I went online and ordered some. I decided to try their wings too and let me tell you - they are fantastic. I was very surprised at how good they are. I have ordered the 10 boneless BBQ Honey wings on multiple occasions and I consistently get 10 very large wings soaking in sauce. The only thing I can say negative about the place is it doesn't have the ambiance in the restaurant that a Hooters or BWW has. You would never go there to watch a game or hang out. I always order takeout from this place. But if you are looking for amazing wings for takeout at a reasonable price, you will not be disappointed going to Pizza Hut's Wing Street.
Hooters
Location: Castleton, multiple
Price: $$ (depending on how much beer you have)
Rating: 5 Cheeseburgers
I am not afraid or embarrassed to admit it: I am a pretty big fan of Hooters. I think the whole concept is great. A place where you can get bar food, have a few beers, and be served by pretty girls, what is wrong with that? I am even looking into opening my own store sometime in the future when I have enough capital to afford a franchise. The location will remain top secret as I don't want someone to read this blog and steal my idea. I have been to numerous Hooters restaurants in multiple states and have found the food to be consistent in all locations. I therefore rate the restaurant on the attractiveness of the wait staff. That is one of the big reasons for going in the first place anyway, right? There are four Hooters locations in the Indianapolis area. I haven't been to Hooters of Greenwood in many years so that location is out of this discussion. Out of the remaining three locations - Downtown, Speedway, and Castleton, the Castleton on 82nd street has by far the prettiest wait staff. Downtown might be a close second, but I live so much closer to Castleton I rarely go downtown at all, let alone to go to Hooters. Truthfully, I only make it to the Castleton Hooters every once in a while. Despite the fact that I live relatively close, it is a pain in the butt to drive there during dinner time as it is rush hour and you will sit in stop and go traffic on the expressway. However, they have theme night once per month and I usually make it there about every other month. I usually drag poor Sarah along too and she is a good sport about it. Last night we went and it was back to school night. Half of the girls were dressed in school girl outfits, the other half were dressed in toga party outfits. It was probably a 'B' level theme night. Better than some, but not as good as nurses night or Valentine's Day lingerie night. I think the wings are pretty good, although not as good as Wing Street or BWW. However, they are closely behind the other places, and the Buffalo Chicken sandwich and cheeseburger are really good too. And it's tough to beat the overall atmosphere of Hooters if you are looking for a cool place to watch the game or hang out with some friends for a couple of hours. And trust me - after spending an entire day in a nursing home, you will need a nice environment to let some steam off.
Below is one of my favorite Hooters girls of all time, Miss July 2006 and the 2007 Playmate of the Year Sara Underwood. She can occasionally be seen on G4's Attack of the Show, one of my favorite shows on TV and where I got the concept for the format of this blog. On the surface she seems to bubbly and dingy for me but she is super cool on AOTS and I've been a fan since seeing her there. Enjoy!
Bottom line, is it's just tough to beat buffalo wings and cold beer in my book. Throw in some sports on TV in high-def, and said beer and wings served by good looking girls, and life is good.
ReplyDeleteI'm still all in for our partnership on a Hooters at the "undisclosed location." We've talked about that since high school...maybe some day the dream becomes reality. You just never know. LOL
Sarah and I went home this weekend and on our way through a certain town I noticed there was one of those Hooters knock-off restaurants Show-Mes. I don't think they will pose any threat to our future business plans but it is a bit annoying that they beat us to the punch.
ReplyDeleteI have never been to a Show-Mes. According to their website there is one in Indy downtown, but there are no pictures or anything so I am thinking maybe it is brand new and hasn't opened yet. I will have to make a "business" trip down there some night so I can scope out the competition and see what we are up against.
I've been to a "Show-Me's" and wasn't all that impressed, but in all fairness, the town in question sucks in general, so I won't list that as an indictment on the entire franchise of restaurants. I'm game for scouting out the place downtown sometime...if I ever get a *&%#ing day off work!
ReplyDeleteYeah, it wasn't in Terre Haute was it? They apparently have one there now.
ReplyDeleteI don't think the one downtown is even open yet. I am working this weekend so I am a no-go for that business trip at least for another week.
Yeah and as I already mentioned I don't think you can judge a place like that by one location. I mean there is a big difference in the attractiveness of the waitresses at Speedway Hooters versus Castleton in my opinion.
ReplyDelete