Over in Europe the F1 guys had a great race in Belgium at the famous Spa circuit. Spa is one of my favorite tracks on the F1 calendar and is considered to be one of the most challenging race circuits in the world. As usual, weather played a huge factor in Belgium as the off-again, on-again rain played havoc with tire and race strategies.
Back here in Indianapolis we have the MotoGP race going on as well. As of this post it has not aired on TV yet, but I plan on watching it later this afternoon. I am more interested in seeing the attendance and what everyone has to say about the track and the future of the race. Although I read they've already signed on for an additional year. I did read about this tragic event that occurred before the main race this morning. Another reminder of how dangerous racing really is, especially motorcycle racing. It is amazing there aren't more stories like this truthfully.
Shifting gears a bit, the US Open starts Monday. The US Open and Wimbledon are truthfully two of my favorite sporting events of the year. I am not a huge tennis fan but I do enjoy watching tennis every once in a while. Ladies #1 seed Caroline Wozniacki won her warm-up tournament in New Haven this weekend and is sure to have a strong showing in Flushing Meadows this year. I will also be rooting for Maria Kirilenko as she is one of my favorites. On the men's side, I am hoping Andy Roddick has a strong showing this year as he is my favorite male player. He consistently under-achieves in my opinion, but he is a lot of fun to watch and his interviews are usually entertaining as well. If nothing else he provides for some good WAG watching with his wife Brooklyn Decker.
Caroline Wozniacki:

Maria Kirilenko:

Andy Roddick:

Andy's wife Brooklyn Decker, providing the WAG action on the sidelines:
Had no idea you were going to the IRL race at Chicagoland Speedway. IRL's lack of greater presence in the American sports conscience is two fold, in my opinion. A) The sport's biggest stars are foreign. B) The sport isn't marketed as well as it could be, from my perspective.
ReplyDeleteI'm quite the sports enthusiast in general, but I'll be quite frank when I say that I know essentially nothing about motorcycle racing.
With that disclaimer offered, someone would still have a hard time convincing me that I'm horribly off base when I say it's absurd to have 12 and 13 year-old children racing on one of the world's largest circuits. Seems to me that's all but begging for a tragic situation such as this to unfold.
I love me some C-Dub...also like Ana Ivanovic, but Wozniacki is my favorite tennis star amongst current players.
BD is a real treat...for some odd reason, she's real tight with Dan Patrick. I love when she makes in studio appearances on his show. Always make sure I catch that in glorious HD. LOL
To clear things up, I have never been to the Chicagoland Speedway. The race there this past weekend was awesome. Three wide at 220 mph for the final 50 laps. Amazing. I've never been to that track but I wouldn't mind going in the future since it is only a few hours away from us.
ReplyDeleteMy bad. I read something into that which wasn't there...thought you had gone to the race.
ReplyDelete