Tuesday, December 7, 2010

No Longer Monopoly Money

I used to always joke each year as I was filling out my FAFSA and student loan information how the amount of money being borrowed was so absurd it seemed like Monopoly money (i.e. not real). I'm not laughing so much now. I've been trying since June to get all of my loans consolidated with the department of education and the process is still on going. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. The US Government isn't exactly known for its efficiency. In the meantime, the grace period on all of my loans has ended. I was able to place the loans on forbearance with one of my lenders without any problems at all. The other lender, however, is a different story. I've already applied for forbearance with this second lender once. Instead of placing all of the loans into forbearance like anyone with any sense at all would have done, they only placed one of the loans into forbearance, leaving two in the normal repayment schedule. I sent in a second forbearance application last week. Unfortunately it hasn't arrived in time and thus I got a bill today from this lender that was slightly over $1,000. I was able to call them and get the payment reduced to a little over $500, but this is still a lot of money to spend on loans every month. And that isn't even covering half of my total loans. I am going to be checking thoroughly over the next week to make sure the second forbearance application went through. I hate to continue to push off payments as more interest gets added to the principal, but at this stage of the game we can't even afford to make interest payments on these loans. It's ridiculous.

I went to the dentist the other day. Either advancements in dentistry have occurred since I was a kid, or my pain threshold has raised since I was a kid because going to the dentist isn't nearly as uncomfortable as I remember it being when I was younger. I actually didn't feel anything - not even the numbing injection. I like my dentist quite a lot. She is a little fancier than I am used to but her and her office staff are really nice.

2 comments:

  1. Be glad you don't have one of the dentist I had when I was in the Military. Every time he gave me the numbing shot, he hit a nerve that made it feel like he went through my tongue with the needle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think dentists have come a long way since those days. It really isn't too bad anymore.

    ReplyDelete