
Rock Band
System: PS3
Release Year: 2007
IGN Score: 9.4
Rock Band: Beatles
System: PS3
Release Year: 2009
IGN Score: 9
I first played Rock Band and Guitar Hero back in 2008 and instantly loved the concept. I was probably a year or so behind the trend when these games came out but truthfully I was just getting back into gaming at the time and I really had no idea these games existed until a couple of our friends in Erie were talking about it. We used to get together every once in a while to have a few drinks and rock out with our plastic guitars. I really feel like these games really helped to develop a pretty good friendship with several people while living in PA. Because of this I really think these games are some of the best games ever made. It allows several people to get together at once and play simultaneously, and the ones who aren't playing still enjoy it because music is being played in the background. Truthfully, one of the best gaming concepts I've seen. It is one of those things you look at and think "Why didn't I think of that?"
With that being said, I am not going to spend much time discussing the actual game. I assume we have all been exposed to these games at least a bit. Even my dad has played them. With that being said, once we moved out of Erie and back to Indiana I really haven't played the music games too much. However, since the anniversary of John Lennon's passing I have been on a big Beatles kick. Plus we went to a party a few weeks ago and someone brought their drums for guitar hero. Playing the drums that night inspired me so I purchased the Beatles edition of Rock Band for $100. It is really one of the only ways to get the drum set without spending a bundle. I also purchased the original Rock Band for $8 on Amazon.
Both of these games are pretty fantastic. The Beatles edition has most of their biggest hits and Rock Band has a ton of well known songs and artists. Plus the store allows you to purchase and download all kinds of additional tracks. Truthfully, though, I don't think either one of these games is as good as Guitar Hero III. A lot of the Beatles songs are too heavy on pop and not heavy enough on guitar to make them great songs for a guitar-based game (though they are still quite fun to play). And while Rock Band has tons of recognizable songs, I've always felt like the more obscure songs were usually the better songs to play on Guitar. Take Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover" from Guitar Hero III. It is a fantastic song, both fun and challenging to play, and I had never heard of it until I first played GH III on the PS2.
At any rate, we will be rocking out to some Rock Band this weekend during a New Year's party. I hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend. Below is a YouTube video of someone getting 100% on expert on "Cliffs of Dover." Pretty amazing.
Did you make a video of your playing at the party? Did you make this guy look like a piker?
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of rock out favorites, I think it's about time for some Phil Collins / Genesis material in one of these games!
ReplyDelete@Joseph: Nope, no video.
ReplyDelete@BoilerPip: I thought the same thing. Have been meaning to check the Rock Band store to see if they have anything to offer. However it is my understanding that if you are playing the Beatles version you can only buy Beatles songs. You have to have a regular version to buy other songs. Would love to play "In the Air Tonight" on drums.