When we first moved to Indy I started getting my haircut at this place called Knockouts, a boxing-themed salon for men. You can tell from the link what the place was like, if you're interested. It was kind of fun and I thought it was a cool concept (there definitely wasn't anything like this growing up, or in Erie for that matter). However I got irritated because every time I went a different girl cut my hair (the place had a high turnover rate) and frankly some of them weren't very good so you never knew what kind of cut you were going to get.
After a couple of years I decided to switch to a more stable salon that featured one stylist. Knockouts Indianapolis ended up closing a few months later anyway. I immediately liked the new stylist. She was by far the most sophisticated stylist I had ever been to and I liked the consistency of having the same person cut my hair every time. She also gave me Miller Lites during my cuts, which never hurt. There was just one problem with her: her schedule. She only worked Tuesday-Friday and bankers hours at that. In addition, she books up like 6 weeks or more in advance. For the first 6 months or so this wasn't a problem and I managed to squeak in hair cuts here in there. However, over the past 6 months it has become an increasing problem. The issue is that I switch rotations monthly and I have no idea of knowing what my schedule will be until that month. With her booking up more than a month in advance, her schedule is already filled by the time I know my schedule for the month. For the past several months I've struggled to get haircuts. I've had to leave work early and go a few weeks past due before I could get in. I finally got tired of this and decided to switch stylists this week. I feel really bad about doing this because I liked my stylist a lot, but it is just something that had to be done. It was becoming too stressful to get a haircut.
During this rotation I have Wednesday afternoons off so I took the free time to meet my new stylist. She seems pretty nice and did a pretty good job of cutting my hair today. She seems to be just as sophisticated as my last stylist and didn't cut my hair too short, which is nice. I like to have some length to my hair and often new stylists will go way, way too short. This was a common problem with the girls at Knockouts as well as at places like Super Cuts. My new haircut even got Sarah's approval, which is rare. The best part is that she works on Saturdays, so my next cut is scheduled for a Saturday.
Again, I feel bad for leaving my past stylist as I liked her so much, but I think it was just something that had to be done. Our schedules just didn't mesh. My first impression of my new stylist was good so I am hoping for good things in the future.
How do you know you won't go to a rotation that includes Saturdays? Glad you like your haircut.
ReplyDeleteWhat? No picture? :)
ReplyDelete@Joseph: Good question. Typically my weekend schedule is separate from my rotation schedule. I know my weekend call schedule far in advance so scheduling shouldn't be a problem. However, I am interested in picking up a moonlighting job soon in the future which might have me working some weekends. If this happens I'll just have to work around it.
ReplyDelete@Auntie: Did you want a picture of my new stylist or my haircut? I have neither, lol.
I wonder what your new stylist would think if you ask to take her picture?
ReplyDeleteA picture of you silly! (Well, unless you have a cute male stylist in the future!) I had a gorgeous male stylist in ABQ, but I think he would have preferred YOU taking HIS picture...if you know what I mean. ;-)
ReplyDelete@Joseph: Uh, I don't think that would go over very well, lol.
ReplyDelete@Auntie: That is one of the reasons why I prefer for my stylist to be a woman.
Lol, Auntie 502! I wouldn't mind seeing some cute male stylists myself. :o)
ReplyDeleteI had a male stylist in South Bend and here too for awhile. I am enjoying "girl talking" immensely now with the girl stylist I have now. It's a great therapy session everytime I talk to her. :-)
ReplyDeleteDon't think I've ever had a male stylist. I've been to a barber a few times when growing up. Doubt if they even had scissors.
ReplyDelete@Joseph: I'm in the same boat. I went to a barber growing up as a kid but basically since high school I've went to women stylists.
ReplyDelete