Monday, June 20, 2011
Night Babies
I've been working nights the past week which completely throws off my sleep and eating cycle which is one of the reasons why there haven't been any new posts lately. Truthfully not much exciting has been going on other than work so there hasn't been a lot to post about. My rotation is going OK. It was a little awkward at first because they kind of just drop you off and don't tell you anything in terms of when to be there or what is expected. After I had been there a few days and met everyone and got used to the situation I relaxed a bit and things have been better since. They've been really busy up there. There are 24 beds in their OB wing and when I was last there Saturday morning they were completely full. I've been getting an average of 2-4 deliveries a night which is pretty good I think. One of the docs went through a systematic way to deliver a baby which I have been using and I think works well. It gives you a lot of control over the situation and allows for a free hand to suction or do whatever is needed. Most doctors just kind of throw you into the situation and let you figure it out as you go so it was kind of neat that he gave me steps to follow. We practiced on a pelvic model they had at the hospital (see below) which I thought was kind of amusing. I felt like I was playing sports again, going through the motions of a play at practice or something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
LOL at the model.
ReplyDeleteKelly was my middle of the night baby and the nurse and I delivered her (don't listen to G's version, he wasn't really awake)
Oh yes, the model is quite amusing. However I feel like using it actually helped me quite a bit. Using the one doc's method I now have a plan of what I am going to do for every delivery instead of flying by the seat of my pants each time.
ReplyDeleteIn general I think working nights provides great experience. Odd things tend to happen at night and there are usually less people around so there are more chances to jump in and get involved. Socially it messes things up but for a short time I think it's worth it.