I am easily in the worst shape of my life. I exercised a bit while at DePauw but since leaving DePauw and going to med school I have been very inactive. On a day to day basis this really doesn't bother me because my job is much more mental than physical so I don't even really seem to notice. It starts to bother me when I have excess free time. Usually by the time I work and get home and eat dinner I am pretty tired and don't even feel like doing much too strenuous. After I check my email and watch PTI it is usually about 9 pm so I am set for the evening. Every once in a while I will have a month where I have a lot of down time. This is one of those months. On most days I've been getting home around 2 pm. Once I finish doing my normal routine things I still have several hours left before I need to go to bed and my mind starts wandering on little hobbies outside I could be doing.
To be perfectly honest I hate exercising. I know there are people out there who truly enjoy the way exercising makes them feel. I see these people running down the street next to our apartment everyday looking absolutely miserable. Exercise just makes me feel hot, gross, and sore. Walking is OK but I don't think you get a ton of actual exercise with that. I like tennis but that requires a partner. Biking is fun but I don't own a bike right now. I might buy one next summer but Sarah doesn't really like to ride bikes. Roller blading is just OK. I don't know, I enjoy some things better than others but most of the stuff I just don't enjoy. I need to pick something up sooner rather than later before things get worse. I think it will be easier once I have a stable schedule from month to month, which hopefully will happen in about 20 months.
Maybe you should play football?
ReplyDelete