Thursday, December 29, 2011

Final Moxibustion Update

Add moxibustion to the list of treatments that my thumb failed. It seemed to respond somewhat to the therapy but at the rate it was going if it were going to work it would've taken many treatments. I always feel like I'm free-loading when I just show up expecting a treatment (I always called and asked before I showed up) and it was difficult to get in with my schedule quick enough before the wart started growing again and then I was back to square one.

I went back to the dermatologist who originally surgically removed the wart (which obviously came back). He is going to inject it with bleomycin. Bleomycin is a chemotherapeutic drug used against multiple cancers. I'm a little nervous, not because the medicine has multiple side effects, but because I think getting injections in the distal aspect of the thumb will be very uncomfortable. I just hope it works. This medicine is pretty potent so if I fail this treatment I don't know what options are left besides amputation. Right now the medicine is on back order and is supposed to be coming in sometime during January which is when I'll get the injections.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you should tape a piece of bacon on it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that an old wives tale treatment for warts? I've never heard of it before. I have heard of duct tape and there are actually some studies that say it is one of the better treatments. Unfortunately, I tried duct tape along with compound w faithfully for about three months without relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually it is for something under the skin like a thorn or splinter. Figured it wouldn't hurt for a wart.

    ReplyDelete