I'm still using my 2005 Dell XPS desktop for my main computer and it was becoming a mess. It had three operating systems on it, including a corrupted version of XP that was worthless. My Ubuntu kept giving me warnings about being low on hard drive space so I thought it was time to upgrade my system and clean things up a bit. Doing this was one of my goals for the weekend and I got the project done despite being sick.
I did a clean install with Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot). They've made a lot of changes to the GUI on this new version compared to the old one. The big thing is that they've added a Mac style task bar that sits on the left of the screen instead of the bottom. Also, following in Apple's path, they've placed all of the "file" and "edit" buttons for programs on the very top task bar within the OS itself, separate from the window the program is actually running in. Those of you who have used Apple computers will know what I'm talking about, otherwise this might be a bit confusing. Suffice it to say there are enough new changes that were made that it feels almost like using a new computer for free! Also an important thing to note was the ease of install. Ubuntu continues to make this distribution of Linux more and more user friendly. I got my printer to install with no problem at all this time. I haven't had time to mess with the network settings but have my fingers crossed that sharing folders won't be too difficult.

The feature I'm really excited about is the VirtualBox program. This time, instead of having a dual boot system where I have to restart the computer every time I want to get into Windows (yes, I still have to use Windows occasionally), I am using a program which simulates a different computer to run Windows within Ubuntu, which means no more restarts. Thus far I have had no difficulties (Excluding the phone call I had to make to Microsoft because apparently when you try to install an "upgrade" version of Windows on a computer that doesn't already have Windows, the product key doesn't work. This is so stupid and typical of Microsoft. Luckily they fixed the issue but I was prepared to go off over the phone if they told me I had to buy a different version.) with the program and it seems to be running fine, so I'm really excited about this integration.
I also got an electronic car starter for my car from my parents this weekend for Christmas. I'm pretty excited about this too. It's so James Bond like. It will be nice to have on those snowy and icy mornings.
Feeling any better today? auntie 502
ReplyDeleteHe's lying on the couch in a sweatshirt and with 2 blankets so it doesn't look like he's much better. He went to work (of course) but he's wiped out now. I think this is maybe the second time he's been sick since we've been together, and I know the first time only lasted for a day.
ReplyDeleteNo more illness I hope! auntie 502
ReplyDeleteWell, he's down to one blanket and a sweatshirt so that's an improvement. He only missed one day of work and he seems better, but his cough is pretty nasty. You'd think that since he's surrounded by doctors every day they could have made him better by now, but apparently not. ;o)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you can see my comments on this site Sarah as my last one to you hasn't appeared on your site! I had asked about your time off for Christmas.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe how long the DF has been sick. What in the world does he have? auntie 502
If Sarah's blog is more than a couple week old, she has to approve the comment before it is displayed. A lot of people around here are down with the croop for about a week and still not feeling normal for several weeks.
ReplyDeleteJoe
Yeah, croop is making a comeback but I don't think I have croop. Have had two solid weeks of cough. Thrown in with that I've had intermittent chills, muscle aches, and a lot of fatigue. It's weird because some days I wouldn't feel too bad, but some days I would feel pretty run down and would go to bed basically as soon as I got home. Then three or four days ago I started taking these Oregano supplement pills along with echinacea pills, at the request of my parents. I'll have to admit, I started feeling better probably within 18 hours of starting the oregano pills. One of my co-workers is a pharmacist and she too is a big fan of the oregano pills. We did some research and found that oregano has bactericidal actions against all kinds of bacteria. Also of interest, Hippocrates used it to treat sepsis back in the day. Anyway, overall I do feel much better since starting those medicines. However, I now have this nagging cough because I am drowning in post-nasal drip. And I think this aspect is getting worse because it is starting to wake me up at night. I think I might start myself on Amoxicillin as this has been going on for a few weeks now and seems to be getting worse.
ReplyDeleteI started taking Avelox on Tuesday. I'm already feeling better. Probably 90-95% now.
ReplyDelete