Sunday, June 3, 2012

You Are What You Eat, Part II

I was diligent about entering my food into myfitnesspal for four to five weeks.  To be honest, I've gotten away from it a bit.  But four to five weeks of data is enough to have a pretty good idea about what I'm eating and how many calories I am taking in.

I have my program set to maintain weight, as opposed to lose weight.  At my height and current weight, according to the program, I can take in around 2,300 calories per day.  I found that on most days I would eat between 1700 and 2000 calories.  I did this pretty consistently for a month.  I believe the calorie amount because I didn't change the way I eat too much and I have been the same weight since about junior high.  Counting the calories did make me change the way I eat a little bit.  For example, once I found out that two double stuff Oreos were 140 calories, I backed off on the amount of cookies I ate a bit in order to stay under my daily calorie limit.

Of course, the other side of the equation is exercise.  I'll be honest, I absolutely loathe exercising.  It will be a 90/90 day (90 degrees, 90% humidity) and I'll see people running around our neighborhood and they look absolutely miserable.  I have no idea what would possess you to just get out and run.  I don't particularly like other exercise activities either.  While I was counting the calories Sarah and I started going to the gym a few times per week but we have since fallen off that phase.  I don't even know how much it was helping if at all.  I felt good about going (even though I didn't enjoy it) but I'm afraid I was getting more psychological benefit than physiological benefit.

In this weekend news, I had my first shift at the free clinic down the street from where I live.  It was very busy!  Last night Sarah and I ate at the Kona Grill.  My steak was very good, and Sarah had some fancy sushi, seen below.



3 comments:

  1. Tell Sarah that if I'd have seen something like that green thing in my garden, I would have stepped on it! :) auntie 502

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, Auntie 502, it's supposed to look like a caterpillar (it's avocado on top) so you have the right idea! I've had sushi with raw fish in it, but both of the ones shown here are fully cooked. Sushi is something I crave only a couple of times a year, but it's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, they did a great job...but I'm not sure I could eat something that looks that convincing! ;-) auntie 502

    ReplyDelete