Sunday, November 4, 2012

Traveling Back Through Time

Besides the autumn "fall back" in time this weekend, a couple of other things happened over the past few days which made it seem like I was time traveling into the past. 

Last week our DVR quit working out of the blue.  While I was on the phone with the cable company, it came up that we did not have a home phone line and asked if we had thought about getting one.  The last time we had a home phone line, we paid $20 a month for it and the only people who used it were the state police bugging us for donations.  I really didn't see the purpose in paying for the service so we discontinued it.  However, our cell phone service in our apartment is very poor.  I think it is due to the way our apartment building is constructed.  It can be very difficult to talk on the phone and dropped calls are common.  Obviously this is annoying and starting next summer I will begin taking at home phone call for the clinic I work at, so having a reliable phone line is a must.  So we went ahead and added a land line phone.  We got the phone service and upgraded our internet speed to 20 Mbps (I was clocking it at over 30 yesterday) for just $1.25 more per month (how could you pass that up for the internet speed boost alone???).  We bought a new home phone yesterday at Amazon.  I wasn't even sure if they still made phones like that.  I never thought I would buy one again.

The other thing that happened recently was on Saturday I was at the hospital interviewing fourth year medical students for positions in our residency program.  It was just three years ago when I was in their shoes interviewing for spots myself.  I remember how incredibly anxiety inducing the whole situation was.  Even though it was just three years ago, it seems a lot longer than that as a lot has happened in those three years.  How quickly the tables can turn.



5 comments:

  1. You didn't turn the clocks back at 2 a.m. then again turn the clocks back at 2 a.m.? We've always had a line line for DirecTV but almost no one knows the number (Sarah know it). We have an answering machine on it and have only gotten a few messages on it. Mostly wrong numbers but the one from RNC probably wasn't one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love our land line. The last time we bought a phone for the land line, we got three free extensions with it. It's great to have one or more phones available on each floor. And my cell phone doesn't work at all in our basement. auntie 502

    ReplyDelete
  3. So do you not get a lot of soliciting calls? That has been the experience I've had with a land line phone. If it happens again I am thinking of disconnecting it until I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sure, but with caller ID, you just don't answer the phone. (Each of the four phones has caller ID on it.) I've gotten nuisance calls on my cell phone too. auntie 502

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you "back to the future" yet? auntie 502

    ReplyDelete