Wednesday, March 25, 2015

What, For Free?

If I had to list my favorite type of music, I would say rock or alternative or whatever label you want to apply to a small group of guys who play guitar and drums and occasionally piano.  I have some artists that I like and listen to who fall out the traditional rock band realm, music I call "guilty pleasures." Most of these artists I don't go out of my way to listen to, but at the same time if they're on the radio or TV I won't change the channel either.  Probably my favorite artist that falls in this category is Rihanna.  I don't even try to hide this guilty pleasure.  I'll tell anyone who will listen that I am a fan of her work.  I think her music is catchy and fun to rock out to.  Anyway, I've kind of been waiting for her to come to our city for a concert while on tour (I'd fit right in for that crowd, right?). Then to my surprise it was announced she would be coming near by.  Not on tour, but instead as part of a promotional concert for free.  I briefly thought about going, but the more I thought of the logistics of such an event the more I thought it probably wouldn't be worth it, and I have since decided not to go. 

How could something free not be worth the trouble?  For starters, the concert is being played in an open field setting where essentially they could pack people in like cattle for the show.  Secondly, she is playing in a concert with several other people and there is no schedule (at least none that I'm aware of), so I would have to potentially sit through a day long concert just waiting for her to go on stage.  Thirdly, I'm guessing you get what you pay for and I am half expecting her to perform just a few songs before they move on to the next act.  You know what?  I'll pass on this despite being a big fan.  I would rather buy my $100 ticket to (a) get a reserved seat, (b) not have to listen to hours of other acts I don't care about, and (c) ensure I get to see a decent show.  I am starting to get old and grumpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment