Before the girls were born Sarah and I were in a baby store when we came across a couple of rocking chairs they sold. We decided that we should buy a rocker to have in the girls room to have a place to sit when they needed to be fed in the middle of the night. The problem with the chairs in the store was that they looked like a piece of furniture you'd find in a nursing home. Plus they weren't overly comfortable, and more importantly, they weren't cheap. While they would've served the purpose for having a place to feed the kids just fine, the baby store didn't really offer anything that I'd be willing to sit in (or have in my house for that matter) once the girls got bigger. For these reasons I was able to talk Sarah (rather easily, actually) into buying a nice, big, comfortable recliner form a furniture store.
At the time of the purchase I remember some people making fun of us, despite having solid logic guiding the decision. The chair was used initially when the girls were still feeding in the middle of the night, but that has been some time ago and since then it really gets minimal use sitting in the girl's room. The girls have now switched from a crib to a toddler bed, and with the switch Sarah wanted to move the recliner out of their room and into the basement. Let me tell you something - it is awesome. It is so much more comfortable to sit in than sitting on a couch and using a coffee table, or an ottoman for that matter. It reclines back for easy napping, and the larger side table we moved next to the chair places my drink, phone, and remote in a location with an easy reach. I haven't routinely sat in a recliner for probably 15 years, back when I was in high school, so I forgot how nice they were. I can't believe I've spent the last few years since being out of college without one. It definitely makes it more enticing to sit down in the basement and not want to do anything except watch sports. Now if I can just train the girls to get me a beer.
No comments:
Post a Comment