Sunday, June 17, 2018

24 Hours of Le Mans

I'm happy Fernando won the race for two reasons: (1) He's a great driver and seems to be a genuinely nice guy and (2) I think this win pretty much guarantees his return to Indianapolis for racing's so-called "triple crown."  That second reason is maybe a bit selfish but makes for some great drama none the less.

I watched more racing at Le Mans this year than I ever have in the past, I think in large part to the fact that the race was on one channel for the duration instead of the channel hopping Fox made us do.  As a casual fan of sports car and endurance racing, I won't pretend to know the details or politics of the racing.  I am a bit torn on Toyota's dominance, however.  On the one hand, just to finish such a long race at such a challenging circuit is an accomplishment in itself, regardless of position.  On the other hand, Toyota dominated from the drop of the green flag and minus a wreck or failure there really wasn't much question who would finish 1-2.  I don't know if I should curse Toyota for creating a boring race at the top of the field or if I should cheer their dominance and curse the rest of the field for being slow comparably.  I'm inclined to do the latter, but part of me would've like to see a bit of a closer race up front at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment