I bought a Nintendo Switch in the fall of 2017 for the sole purpose of playing Breath of the Wild. I had no intentions of playing any other games and had no other reasons to own the system. However, I love Nintendo games and the system has a great library of games and I quickly changed my attitude about the system. In fact, in the two and a half years since I purchased a Switch I have played it significantly more than my PS4 during that time. It quickly became one of my all-time favorite gaming systems. That's the good news. Now for the bad news.
The Switch is finicky. I've already had to send a controller in for the joy con drift issue. The repair solved the issue, but what a random thing to happen. I can't remember one time in the past where I had a controller stop working correctly. Now, I can't get the system to turn on. All I get is a black screen on the TV and the device itself. After doing some investigation, I read that rebooting the system, unplugging the power adapter from the wall and the dock, then plugging it directly into the system resolves the issue, and it seems to do so. However, I now have to do this every time I want to turn the system on. Otherwise I get a black screen. I haven't been able to find any additional advice on this situation on the internet so I am probably going to have to call Nintendo. I'm not looking forward to this call, mostly because I'm afraid it is going to mean that I have to send the system to them for repair. I think something is causing the system to not want to come out of sleep mode. I say this because I get a black screen on the TV and device until I reboot the system. The other possibility is that there is an error with the dock. However, the system stays charged on the dock so the power is at least getting to the system. The dock itself doesn't respond well to loss of power, requiring unplugging the power and HDMI cables and forcing you to plug the power cable first, then the HDMI, to reset the dock. If you don't do it in that order it won't work. Again, I can't think of a single time I've had a game system that required reboots every time to get it to work. Then again, I had like three PS2s due to disc drive failures and the original NES cartridges wouldn't work half the time, requiring you to re-insert them or blow on them to get the system to read it correctly. Just so unusual that a modern system would have so many oddities to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment