Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Ted Lasso

 


I heard Ted Lasso was good and was interested in the tie-in with the English Premiere League, so decided to give it a watch. I was late getting started and took a leisurely pace watching so I am just now finishing the first season, which was really good. While soccer is the center point of the plot, it really takes a back seat as the season progresses as character development and their interpersonal challenges take center stage. Throw in some comedy, some of which is laugh out loud funny, and you've got a great show.

The struggling Richmond football team hires American college football coach Ted Lasso to become their new manager. Richmond's owner Rebecca just went through a divorce, and her ex-husband loves Richmond, so she hires Ted as a joke to make them terrible to get back at her husband. Of course, Ted knows nothing about soccer, so he struggles to fit in and win over his players and the press. He's a bit of a lovable loser, however, and as Rebecca and the team get to know him better, they can't help but to like him. As the season progresses it becomes clear that the show is less about soccer and more about being a good person. Even Sarah got on board and started to watch.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable show and I'll give season 2 a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment