Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)


 

Ordinarily I would have not watched this animated Spider-Man movie. However, I kept reading about Miles Morales, especially after the PS5 game launched. My interest piqued because Peter Parker is supposed to be Spider-Man, so who was this Miles Morales character? After I discovered that Miles was associated with Into the Spider-Verse and began reading about this movie, it became apparent that I should watch it. It ranked very highly, including one article that called it the best Spider-Man movie ever made. At that point, the decision to watch it was made.

Initially I wasn't a fan of the animation style. I never read comics, and it wasn't apparent to me at first that they were trying to mimic the style of the comics (though it seems obvious now that I'm typing this). Not until they started showing the discussion bubbles on screen did I realize what they were doing. After this realization and a bit of mental adjustment, I really started to dig the look. The movie is alike a visual acid trip at times, being super colorful and bright (see below). It was really unique and visually appealing. The soundtrack was great too, and the music and audio effects were top notch.

Miles is a normal boy in NYC, similar to Peter but less dorky. Peter dies at the hand of Kingpin, who has built a contraption to travel to a different universe to save his family. When he does this, however, different versions of Spider-Man from different universes show up, including one of my favorites Peter Porker. They all team up to fight and defeat Kingpin. This concept of multiple universes is obviously being discussed in the newest Tom Holland Spider-Man, as well as Dr. Strange and the MCU, so it was interesting to see it in action in this animated film.

Kingpin was a new Marvel character to me, first introduced in Hawkeye. Seems like we will likely see his character in future movies as well. I know he was also in the Netflix Marvel shows which I have not seen, but more to come on that topic in the near future. Speaking of Hawkeye, Kate Bishop's character played by Hailee Steinfeld is in this movie. Several other famous actors appear as well, including Liev Schreiber, Nicholas Cage, Kathryn Hahn, and Oscar Isaac.




No comments:

Post a Comment