As the title suggests, this movie tells the origin story of Wolverine. In addition to his claws, he's a mutant who doesn't age and has super healing powers. After fighting in many wars for the government, he agrees to join Stryker's Weapon X program to get revenge on Sabertooth, who killed his girlfriend. In doing so, his skeleton is infused with Adamantium, a metal alloy giving him additional strength, and thus becoming Weapon X.
After reading about Wolverine in the Marvel Encyclopedia, I think the movie does a pretty good job explaining his origin story. Some details are changed (such as Sabertooth being his brother in the movie), but I've come to expect these changes in the Marvel movies. Since I wasn't a comic fan, it doesn't bother me. At times the movie gets bogged down by some questionable writing and too much fighting, but generally was enjoyable and worth watching if you're a Marvel or X-Men fan.
The cast of this movie was great, which has come to be expected in Marvel movies. I enjoyed seeing Liev Schreiber (from Ray Donovan) on screen, and even Patrick Steward makes a brief appearance. Of course, Hugh Jackman was the star, this being the first time he played the Wolverine character, with many more movies to come. Perhaps the most interesting actor in the movie was Ryan Reynolds, who played the mutant Wade Wilson before he was transformed into Deadpool. Interesting that Reynolds goes on to play the Deadpool character in the later released movies. I wonder if his casting in those movies had anything to do with this movie. Stryker even mentions the name Deadpool when transforming Wade in his Weapon X program.

No comments:
Post a Comment