The Deadpool movies are essentially the same, so I decided to combine them into one post. Both movies were enjoyable, filled with junior high level humor and laugh out loud moments. They were more enjoyable than a sandpaper dildo. One of the cool things about Marvel movies is that they don't take themselves too seriously, and Deadpool takes that concept to the next level, constantly referring to the studio and other Marvel characters, poking fun at them. I've always enjoyed Ryan Reynolds, partly because I share a minor resemblance to him, and his performance in these movies was enjoyable as predicted. Both movies err on the side of violence, which at times can be a bit much for me.
I have a difficult time ranking these movies in terms of the larger Marvel picture. I liked the first movie better than the second, though both were enjoyable. The character feels a bit like the red-headed stepchild of Marvel. He isn't a part of the MCU and isn't afraid to remind you that he doesn't belong to a specific group. He resists invitations to join X-Men, instead forming his own group X-Force. He's completely self-centered, and the plots of both movies focus entirely on him, to the point that there really are no supporting characters. I can't even remember who the villains in the movies were. In fact, after watching the second movie, I wasn't even sure who the villain was (was it the kid? was it Juggernaut? was it Cable?). While Deadpool is an enjoyable character, he feels like he doesn't really belong in the greater Marvel picture, and isn't afraid to remind you of this.

No comments:
Post a Comment