Saturday, January 14, 2023

The White Lotus (Season 2)

 


I just about gave up on the second season of The White Lotus. I didn't like the characters on this season as much as I did season 1, and I generally wasn't as interested in what was going on. As I was about to give up on the season, the plot pace picked up, and I think the last half of the season was overall very good. Now knowing how the season ends, I suspect I could rewatch the first half of the season and pick up on several subtle actions that I missed initially that would point to what occurred in the final episode. After "the gays" referred to Tonya as the star of the opera, and it was revealed that the star of the opera dies, I knew the writing was on the wall for poor Tonya. The question is Quentin just a friend of Greg's (uncle Rico), or are they lovers? Like a lot of other aspects of this show, a lot of questions remain. But it makes for good television.

It was good seeing Michael Imperioli again. I haven't seen him in anything since the Sopranos. I also enjoyed F. Murray Abraham's perverted old man character. I always enjoyed his work on Mythic Quest as well. There was a time when I thought Albie and the escort would be the dead bodies. Luckily that didn't occur. The escort played this family like a fiddle, and her friend the pianist both came out on top, which was nice to see considering they aren't one of the rich elite. In general, I didn't enjoy this family dynamic as well as the Mossbacher family.

I found the Ethan/Harper & Cam/Daphne dynamic a bit frustrating as well. A lot of awkwardness here, and in general didn't enjoy their scenes as much as the newlywed scenes from season 1. I was pretty certain Ethan did not kill Cam, considering Daphne seemed completely fine (ignorantly bliss) in the opening/final scene of the show.

Despite not enjoying the characters as much, the ending of this season was much more spectacular than season 1. It was a very ornate plot to kill Tonya to get her money, which kept me guessing up to the penultimate episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment