Saturday, March 25, 2023

Operation TV Swap: Part 2 - Details of the Upgrade

Operation TV Swap is the largest and most expensive upgrade to the Basement Theater project, and arguably the most important as well. When I started this project back in 2021, my goal was to integrate my tower speakers so that they were used every time the TV was used. The entire time I owned the speakers and AV receiver, they mostly sat dormant, waiting for a rock out session. As I started to watch more movies, I wanted this to change. Over the course of a year, this concept expanded to a 5.1 surround sound system. I had a relatively new AV receiver, an Onkyo I purchased in 2015 after nearly 20 years of rocking out with my Nakamichi AV receiver. My TV was starting to show its age, however (I came to find out that my receiver was also showing its age, unbeknownst to me. More to come on that in Part 3.). I was using a 2013 Panasonic Plasma, which had a solid HD picture, but didn't have all the bells and whistles of modern TVs. Getting my PS5 last year ushered a new sense of urgency in terms of upgrading my TV. It has the capability of advanced graphics output that require a new TV to be able to maximize its power. This, along with the fact that movies are streaming in 4K and with Dolby Vision and in various other advanced imaging formats, and so I thought now is the time to upgrade my TV and finally start the process of burying my beloved Plasma TVs. 

As I mentioned above, Operation TV Swap is the largest project the Basement Theater has experienced. I will highlight the details of the project below.

  • Swapping my 60 inch 2013 Panasonic Plasma with a 65 inch 2022 Sony Bravia OLED. I had it narrowed down to Sony and LG OLEDs. The LG actually receives the better reviews, but I have always liked Sony TVs and they also received good reviews. Back in the day, prior to my plasma TVs, I had Sony Trinitron CRT TVs. Of course, the Sony Bravia I picked has most of today's major features, and all of the features I wanted. I avoided getting any TVs with extra letters in front of the OLED, such as QDLED or QLED. Those TVs use a hybrid OLED and LED system that enhances brightness. Since I'm placing this TV in the basement where there is minimal ambient light, I decided that I didn't need the additional brightness. Plus, adding the extra brightness typically adds around $1,000 to the price of the TV, which made my decision easier.
  • Along with the new (and bigger) TV, the theater also got a new Onkyo AV receiver. More to come on the details of this in Part 3, but suffice it to say that a new receiver was needed to maximize the audio and video capabilities of the theater. I had around 6 receivers picked out, all with exactly the same features and all within a couple hundred dollars of each other. I was price watching and the Onkyo went on sale, so I purchased it. I had been using an Onkyo already, and have been happy with it, so I was fine with sticking with the brand. Plus, Klipsch uses Onkyo receivers to test their speakers, so I appreciate that relationship as well since I am using Klipsch speakers.
  • Wiring the theater for a second subwoofer, creating a 5.2 surround sound system instead of a 5.1 setup. I was able to do this after I got my new Klipsch Reference Premiere woofer a couple of weeks ago.
  • Wiring the system to support Dolby Atmos. I don't have Atmos speakers yet, but the system will be Atmos ready so that when I get the speakers all I have to do is connect them to existing cables.
  • A wire-management system, a part of the project that is orchestrated by Sarah. This will keep the cables nice and tidy, allowing for easier cleaning and to improve the appearance of the theater.
  • The effects of this project will be felt beyond the Basement Theater. In our living room upstairs we are using a 2008 42 inch Panasonic Plasma. I'll be moving the 2013 60 inch Panasonic Plasma from the basement to the living room, giving us a much larger TV to use in the evenings. I'll be moving the 2008 TV to the guest room, essentially retiring it as it will get very little use. The 2008 plasma is my favorite TV I have ever purchased (we will see what I think of the new Sony Bravia), so I am sad to see it go to TV purgatory. It has an amazing picture, one that is probably better than the 2013 plasma that is replacing it. However, at 15 years old, it is ancient at this point. It doesn't even have HDMI CEC (aka linking), and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get a larger TV in the living room without having to buy a new one. I will be sad to see it in retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment