When The Last Of Us was released in 2013 on the PS3, I purchased the game but never played it beyond the first couple of hours. If I remember correctly, part of this was because I was busy with another game (likely GTA V) and with school/residency. But the main reason why I didn't continue the game was because it really isn't my type of game. I'm not into the you're being chased by zombies in an apocalyptic world scene. I bought the game because of the fantastic reviews it received, but it just wasn't for me.
Fast forward to 2023. The game has been made into a hit show for HBO Max, which has caused stories of the greatness of the game to resurface. I can play the game as part of my Playstation Plus subscription, so I decided to give it another chance. My impression of the game remains largely unchanged.
I've played through the first few hours of the game. The story is intriguing. The downfall of society following a pandemic hits a little too close to home following Covid-19, however. Post-apocalyptic Boston is a fascinating setting and quite enjoyable. The gameplay is where I don't particularly care for the game, however. Infected people turn into these rabid-like zombies called runners or clickers. The clickers in particular are quite difficult to kill, even with a gun, so you have to use stealth to sneak around them so they don't hear you. If they do hear you, they violently attack you and it almost always results in death. I don't mind using stealth in a game, but I just find myself nervous and on edge as I play this game. I suppose that is the feeling the developers were going for, but it just doesn't work for me. I also find the lack of auto-aim quite annoying.
I'm not going to continue playing this game at this time. There are too many other games I'd rather be playing. I'm a bit more open-minded in terms of games I'm willing to play these days compared to when I was younger, so it is possible I may return to it someday.

No comments:
Post a Comment